Non-traditional 1917 Studebaker High School Project

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loveall

Well this is a long term project in my high school welding class. We work on as we have the spare time and I have the extra cash for parts and materials. The body is a 1917 Studebaker, the grill shell is an 18 Studebaker, the front axle is a 57 Chevy truck, the rear end is a 70 Chevy, the engine is out of a 63 impala it’s mated to a th350, the steering is out of a 37 Chevy truck, and the gas tank is a 77 Stroh’s. As you can tell its built out of the cast off parts from all my friends projects.

It looked bad when we first started.

Its looking better after several of years of small steps.

The custom front suspension, we studied on this for a while and yes it is overbuilt.

Jeremy

We used the centers out of a set of 36 wheels inside of a set of 17x8.5 rims so we could have some wide tires in back. We're using the 17x3.5 rims on front.

The seats we built this week, they need some holes and a dimple die used on them.

Jeremy

I like the style of this build, and the length of it, are you planning on a panhard bar for the front axle or other locating means from side to side? Digging your quarter ellipticals, and the upper arm setup.

I like the way you do the reuse of what materials are available.
That's the way you feed your imagination and not use your billfold [cl
I'll be watching this build [P

I like the style of this build, and the length of it, are you planning on a panhard bar for the front axle or other locating means from side to side? Digging your quarter ellipticals, and the upper arm setup.

I'm guessing the quarter ellipticals are expected to keep it in line. I'm thinking those headlights won't survive the constant vibration too well though.

What the heck is the wheel base on it?!?! Looks like about a mile and a half! :D

Looks like a fun project for the whole class. You plan on showing it when its done? keep up the progress and pictures.

From what I have read it should stay in the center on its own like a traditional leaf spring set up.

Franklin, KY?

Yep, its the same thread that got deleted on the other forum:mad:
Looks like this is a better place to be than over there anyways so Ryan did me a favor!;)

Jeremy

Looks like a fun project for the whole class. You plan on showing it when its done? keep up the progress and pictures.

I plan on driving the crap out of it once we get done. It will probably go to the Redneck Rumble at some point in the next couple of years.

Jeremy

Gold Star !!!

Jeremy our hobby needs more shop teacher like you, thank you for all the future hot rodders. Good Job.[cl[cl[cl
If theres something you need put the word out. being a fire tech. instructor i know about the education budget.
Get the pix coming too. [P

Yep, its the same thread that got deleted on the other forum:mad:
Looks like this is a better place to be than over there anyways so Ryan did me a favor!;)

Jeremy

I thought it was. I didn't study the pics hard enough the first time I saw them, to know for sure.

Yep, this is a cool board.

Have you posted any pics of your chevy on here?

Last edited:
I thought it was. I didn't study the pics hard enough the first time I saw them, to know for sure.

This is one of my favorite pictures, the 53 on the left is mine.

Jeremy

I agree u do need to move those headlights , you are building an awesome ride. Really like the six cylinder . Keep it up nice build....

It makes sense about the headlight bulbs and the shock from the road causing the bulbs to blow. I'll find another place for them.

Jeremy

Wheels

Found a couple of used tires with some miles left on them so we painted the rims GM hugger orange and mounted the rear tires. Looks like we'll be running a couple of motorcycle rear tires on the front as soon as I get my bike back together I'll order them. We also started on making a drive shaft but stopped after all the yokes were junk. So so much for free parts, going to make a trip to the junk yard.

Jeremy

I hope my sons will have a opportunity to work on something like this at school. It teaches them a lot more then most realize. Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work.

Latest posts

Back