1936 tudor slantback build ideas

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6uzz6

I just bought a 1936 tudor slant back and i need some ideas and suggestions for the build. the car is running and driving. I would like to keep it that way while I do the tin work, up grade the brakes and electrical. This is not my first rodeo! but is my first rat job!
Thanks,
If the idiots don't like you it proves you are not an idiot!

Let's see some pictures. I like the idea of keeping it a driving project too. I just looked one up online to get an idea of what you have. So is it all stock or has it had an engine swap, drive train etc...?

How about something along these lines :)

Attachments

• 526871_326499170747525_100001623348020_919823_1819622285_n.jpg
    526871_326499170747525_100001623348020_919823_1819622285_n.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 78
  • 167246_1697314385079_638967_n.jpg
    167246_1697314385079_638967_n.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 81
Yes! Yes! That is what I was kinda thinking. Not sure if I want to chop though. Channel yes. I will post some pics tonight if I can.
Thanks

some pictures of the 36

Attachments

• 1936 before 001.JPG
    1936 before 001.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 119
  • 1936 before 002.jpg
    1936 before 002.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 1936 before 004.jpg
    1936 before 004.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 49
I'm with BED. Keep the fenders - you have them and they are in decent condition. That car looks solid. Lower it. ....and chop it. If you want a open wheel rat, get a rusted out hulk of a body to start with.

The decision has been made to keep the fenders thanks to you guys. I have taken off all but the right rear and runner and started beating out some of the dents. The front grill is pretty dinged up and I don't see any after market offered. I may have to cut the fins out and replace them with round bar or flat bar.
Had almost the same type of brakes on the kids go-kart!

I am SO glad you are not hacking up that car. [cl Thank you! Even though it is a Sedan it is still a '36 Ford, and a very cool and valuable car. Repair the grille as best you can until you can find another one in better shape, but don't cut it either. Put yourself some nice new reverse eye springs under it with a dropped axle up front. Do a hydraulic conversion on the brakes with '37-'48 spindles and '39-'48 backing plates. Use some '37-'39 hubs if you want to keep the wide five wheels (you should IMO) and get it roadworthy. NO CHOP. Minimal bodywork to get out the big dents and buff that old paint. When the 21 stud flattie gives up the ghost (and it will), replace it with a later 24 stud model. Overall that's a great start to a really nice early Ford traditional hot rod. Good find!

I was on the fence about suggesting a chop. BED, I like 2door sedans better than coupes. If it were a 4door, I wouldn't think twice about cutting it up.

Maybe go for the look of a poor mans moonshiner runner from the early 40's. Something that hit the backroads hard.

that is an awesome looking project right there.. Im with the other guys, beat out the dents, buff up the paint, spruce up the brakes and drive the wheels off of it

I'm making some head way with straighening the tin. I the mean while I need to start figuring out what i need to do to up grade to hyd brakes and do away with the wide five lug hubs/drums. Do I need to change the whole front end? The rear end will be next consideration. I got a t-5 trans from a camero but it looks like I need one from a S-10. learning as I go![cl

You do not need to change the entire front end. You can keep your axle, but you will need '37-'48 spindles for a hydraulic brake conversion. You can then use '39-'48 spindles, backing plates, hubs and drums. You can also use the '39-'48 hydraulic backing plates and drums on your rear end.

I thought the car was a runner? Why are you considering tearing out the transmission? If you do you will need an adapter, custom driveshaft and a open drive conversion for the rear end. Not cheap stuff if it isn't necessary right now...

Thanks for all the great advice. I want a cool ride but I also want what is right for the 36. My other builds were easy deciding what I wanted but this is all new. I'm retiring soon so I will have lots of time (except during hunting season) "got to eat", and no money. A nice beater with a few upgrades is probably what I will go with "No Choping". Where do I get the 39-48 hyd brakes parts? After Market? The radator is in poor shape. Any recomendations for it?
Thanks guys.

That's a great plan for that car. It's one of those bodies that is up there on any collector's list. Keep it mild and it's value will only go up.

Recore the original radiator - It will cool well and it already fits. :D The spindles & brake stuff are available aftermarket, but it can get pretty spendy for original type equipment. Keep an eye out at swap meets - there will usually be some there. They come up in the classifieds from time to time. Check your local craigslist too. You may want to check with Mike from Cornfield Customs on here. I know he just went out west and there were some stacks of backing plates in the pics of stuff he brought back.

BTW - if you want to keep it wide five (I would), then you will need some '37-'39 wide five hubs & drums. They will go right on the '37-'48 spindles you need. Unfortunately the '36 wide five hub was a basterd year and doesn't work with later hydraulic spindles.

Not a `36 but close enough to get the idea. It`s all in the stance and wheel/tire combo.

This one rides on Heidt front and Chassis Engineering rear
with 355/700R4/8"rear.
Gets 22 mpg on the highway.

Nice start you have there. Good luck.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 14
I would have an extremely hard time cutting up a car that complete and in that condition. Straighten the front the best you can, and stance is everything!!!! I would spend some time to get it to sit straight and level, and then probably do some small subtle things to spruce it up. I probably would p*$$ every one off too though and opt for the four wheel disc brakes......

Latest posts

Back