1959 Apache

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batwood

Anybody doing a '59 Chevy Apache build? I hope to start on mine this year and looking for ideas. I am on a very low budget and will try to get it started first. All stock, stock rust too, 6 cylinder 3 on tree original + extra 6 cylinder with powerglide + '55 or '56 rocket v8 with automatic, all came with truck. I would like to eventually change over to 5 lug, power steering, power brakes, maybe throw the rocket motor in there. First though want to use the 6 if I can get it running. Odd question, I am 6' 5" and there is not alot of legroom, I don't know if moving the tank will get me much. Can I move part of the fire wall forward? Just where the pedals are. Thank you for any ideas. Brian

Attachments

• SANY4006.jpg
    SANY4006.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 49
  • SANY4010.jpg
    SANY4010.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 42
  • SANY3998.jpg
    SANY3998.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 40
  • SANY4007.jpg
    SANY4007.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 41
built on a few years back! it was big back window cab, on a '78 1/2 ton chevy pickup frame with a 350/pg.

Attachments

• Summer-fall of 2006 084.jpg
    Summer-fall of 2006 084.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 41
I'm 6'3'', so I understand your dilemma. If you still have the stock seat in it, ditch it and try something else. The stockers are big fat overstuffed things, too high and too far forward for us tall fellas. If you can get yer butt down a couple inches and back a couple, you might find it tolerable without moving the pedals.

I hear ya, legroom is why I don't have a cool old truck! (6'5")

If you go to the automatic, you can ditch the long-travel clutch pedal, which will make it alot better. At least you will have 1 leg that is sorta comfortable.

im 5' 10" also... my '58 had a seat from a '80 chev pickup, and still had no leg room, but in my '49 studebaker i have one from a '90 chev pick up and i have lots of leg room! had to make custom mounts for it ....the stock '90 mounts would not work. so i would maybe look for a seat out of a '88 and newer chev/gmc pickup. worked good in my studebaker and its a smaller cab!

This is a 59 I built a few years ago. I forget what the seats are out of, but they did give me ever so little extra leg room over the stock seat. I'm 6'-0" and the 59 wasn't as bad as the 48 I built before that. If your good with metal working, I don't see any reason why you can't move the floor out a few inches. You may have to move the brake pedal set up....just look at it and measure, measure and measure before diving in

apache6-1.jpg

apache2-2.jpg

59driversside.jpg

59passengersside.jpg

Wow I really like how your truck looks and that you didn't go to chrome front pieces, I want to leave mine white also. Not googd with metal working yet but I will learn with this truck, I don't doubt myself, I just try that must harder cause I know I can do it. Thanks for the pics.

Looks like a good truck. I really like the Olds engine idea. I found this panel today that is/was an Apache. Surprised to see a straight axle front end though.

Attachments

• Picture 088.jpg
    Picture 088.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 12
  • Picture 089.jpg
    Picture 089.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 10

Latest posts

Back