33 front disk, olds help needed

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerchooper

ok, this is what i have to work with.

Part Name: KING PIN SET
Part Number: 30119 $143.89

1936-1936 CADILLAC, 50 & 52 MODELS (LA SALLE), KING PIN SET
1936-1936 CADILLAC, SERIES 60, KING PIN SET
1929-1936 OLDSMOBILE, ALL EARLY MODELS (1929-1949), KING PIN SET

i have a buddy at an auto parts place and put him to a test, lol. i asked him if he could locate my kingpins. he checked moog and another co. and he couldnt find anything.

i got 2 things running in my head.

1. get a 70- 75 chevelle or camero front disk rotor and bearings and see if they fit my spindle. if they do, great ill make a bracket for the caliper and problem solved.

2. look for a spindle/ disk brake set up that is close to my axle/kingpin size and bore and or bush it to fit my axle.

i havent torn my axle apart yet because i need it for mock up still. im thinking ahead and asking questions before i get there so it will all flow together when i come up to it.

did anybody, or can, you measure you kig pins?
length, O.D. and the notch for the bolt to hold it to the axle. im hopeing with some info to maybe find a king pin that might be a little (couple thou.) bigger than what i got. buy a kingpin kit for that one and bore what i need to fit.

or back to the disk brake that will fit my spindle and just buy the kingpin kit listed above. or find said rotor and see if i can get a tappered bearing that will seal the deal for said rotor.

to many ways to crack the shell, lol.

Just honing or boring the king pins to a bigger size, probably won't work. You have to keep the same angle. Here is what I am talking about. 49-54 Chevy spindles have a kingpin that is .867" OK the 41-59 Chevy-GMC truck use the same kingpin, but they do not interchange because there is a 3* angle difference in the spindle boss. Put a truck spindle on a car axle and you have 3* too much camber.

The inner bearing for that Camaro rotor is probably way too big to fit the spindle. Then also the seal won't fit. You will need to machine a couple of stepped bushings. The bigger step will adapt the seal and the smaller will adapt the wheel bearing. Here is a rough drawing of a adapter we make for the 49-54 Chevy and 41-59 GMC truck. Your spindle bore may be different. If we can help with a bearing adapter give us a shout. 865-932-7541 Ron
49-54chevybearingadapter.jpg

rpm,
all the doom and gloom i cant take it, lol. i never thought about the camber of things. im glad ya brought that up. i will keep you in mind about some machine work if it gets to that point.

sam,
i have a hot rod book from a local place near me, kenny's rod & kustom. they list a disk brake kit for the chevy car/ truck that works on 1928 to 40. they use 70-77 camaro and 73-76 chevelle rotors and calipers. i just though about trying it out to see if it would work. they dont list anything for olds in there book and i talked to them, but all i got was the deer in the head lights look, lol.

there more ford friendly but list some chevy stuff.

my neighbor just changed his rotors on his mid 90's ford truck. i walked over there and asked if i could have one of his rotors with bearing. its in my garage now, lol.

rpm.

that place i was talking about in my other post lists a brake kit for them trucks and it comes with everything to adapt to your spindle.
41- 54 chevy car/ truck w/ straight axle complete kit $389
55-59 chevy pickup $389
they even have the kits for ifs

Can you get a good measurement on the diameter of the spindle where the inner and outer bearings go? The outer bearing on the spindle on the Camaro bearing is .750".

heres what i got.

the outer/ closest to the nut is .7485". it shows some ware so it might be .750 new.
the inner is 1.3125"

spindle.png

Yes it is 1.376"

If you are going to use the adapter I posted, with the GM mid sized rotor you will need a set #13 inner bearing and a set #2 outer bearing.

not to sound retarded, lol.

but, do you have any other numbers for the bearings? or are these numbers so old that they are 2 and 13? lol.

Latest posts

Back