35 ford wheel question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShovelHeadShawn

ok here is what we have,
a 9" ford rear out of a 60s ford pick up
and a set of 35 ford wire wheels

the lug pattern is the same but the wheel won't fit over the drum. does anyone know a fix for this?

I would contact Rally America because they make the necessary spacer to locate the wires on later Ford brake drums, maybe those also work on your drums or they may know what the fix is.

Rally America can be a little slow sometimes on some items so just keep that in mind.

Don

does anyone know a fix for this?

There isn't a good one unfortunately.

Early Ford wires are designed to be used on early Ford hubs & drums. The "basket" where the lug holes are located seats onto the surface of the drum, mating them into one assembly. The wheel relies on this for a good part of it's strength.

Solutions? If you really want to run early Ford wires on the rear the best one is to run an early Ford rear end. However that does open it's own can of worms as far as fitment and strength.

There are adapters made but I would never run one. Adapters are questionable on their own, but especially on a 75+ year old wheel that was never designed for the speed, power or handling it is going to see on modern roads.

a 75+ year old wheel that was never designed for the speed, power or handling it is going to see on modern roads.

that is the part that scares me.... is the wheel itself safe even IF the correct hubs were to be used

if u like the look of wires, look into new wire wheels... for your safety and of those who share the hiways with you...

Well, the 35 wire wheels are not like the ones on Model A's, they were built with a heavier larger car in mind. Lots of hot rods are running them, as long as you inspect them and make sure you are starting out with good ones. At one time I had 10 of them and was saving the best 4 for my own project, but I finally decided I would never get around to it so I sold them on Ebay.

Would I put them on a 1000 hp drag car? No, but for a lightweight hot rod they can actually be ok. The problems with the repro wire wheels is that none have the same look as the older ones.

Don

I definitely agree Don. I was just making a point about the adapters. The wheels themselves are fine IF they are in good condition, inspected thoroughly and mounted in the correct manner. They are really cool and work well when used properly. However they are not a wheel that you just bolt on and forget about. That is the point I try to get across to people who are inexperienced with them. And yes you are right, the repop wires are usually ugly. Haha...

Latest posts

Back