41 Chevy P.U.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stock I-beam, modified for shackles and link bars. The lower link is triangulated to keep the axle centered without a panhard bar.

Can we get some more pics of the front suspension, by my calculation, the axle can rotate on the single pivot point, and the only thing keeping it centered will be your shackles (not good)... Unless I am missing something? [S

Not being critical, just safety conscious... ;)

Triangulated Lower Link

The upper link bars will hopefully keep things from pivoting. So it's like 4 link except the lower link is like a wishbone. I'll be the crash-test dummy and will just go to conventional 4 link if it's too sketchy.

Ok, either way, a 3 or a 4 link does not locate the axle left to right, unless you have angles setup on one of the set of links, or a panhard bar.

That lower link isn't a true triangle and will deflect side to side. Run a pan hard or build a new lower that won't try to straighten your bends under side loads. Just don't want to see you do the oncoming head on thing.

Don

That lower link isn't a true triangle and will deflect side to side. Run a pan hard or build a new lower that won't try to straighten your bends under side loads. Just don't want to see you do the oncoming head on thing.

Don

Even it was a true triangle, it becomes a pivot point with only one rod end. The only think stopping rotation of the axle to the frame is a shackle at that point.
Just sayin. :)

OK, I'll go with four-link. And use that lower link for a towbar. I'm workin on the body now but when I get back on the front suspension I'll post pics of the new four-link. It won't be difficult to do and I can make the bars equal length and parallel. Thanks for your input. By the way, I built a rear-steer delta trike about 10 years ago and scrapped it after one ride!

Latest posts

Back