'50 chevy truckster

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe you could sneak a pic or two of the Bantam into this build thread. I for one would really like to see it.

ok guys!

since you asked so nicely. here is my rig. it is funny you would want to see it today as i just got back from a race called the antique nationals which only allows pre '54 cars and motors. i went 15.83, 15.62, then broke out with a 15.43 on a 15.60 dial in. fun was had by all even so. i don't use the "j" as a tow car much anymore as i can't afford the premium gas and the mileage. i use a 2 barrel 302 ford regular gas truck more now.

but what about my pickup box? don't you guys think it is pretty cool? i seems a little long to me. it's 48 inches by 18 tall. i mocked it up and i think i might take 7 inches out of the length. i think it will jive with the picture better. i am still leaning toward sectioning the cab to bring it in line with the pic. oh for the want of a little money! with no money, my brain gets to working on doing things that my butt can't keep up with.

Bed length is a big decision. No matter what length you pick some will like it and some won't. I sure like the fact that you made it out of material you got for next to nothing. More work and less money spent is a good way to do things. I don't have a good eye for proportions so I ask friends to review my ideas. I call my son my design consultant. He keeps me from messing up too badly. If you follow the drawing proportions you should be in good shape.
I really like your J and Bantam. Is your roll cage legal to 9.99? Is your trailer unsprung? If so, do you like it that way? A trailer is my next project.
I saw a bunch of pics of the Antique Nationals. Wow! what a fine collection of machinery.
Keep up the great work.
Bob

bob, we seem to have the same problem. if i have everything on hand, then i can get the look right. i was going to make a side out of plywood, but got started on the ends first and just didn't quite. the thing is, i am not sure if i like the rear axle that far back or in the middle of the bed. the trouble with these trucks is, they are so large and round, even taking 14 inches out of the middle, it still looks big. from a side view, it seemed the 48", with the axle at the back, made the bed look longer than the cab, and that already looks long. i probably won't see the real dimensions until it is next to a stock cab. as far as the bantam goes, other than the normal tech inspection at the track, there is no certification until after you go 9.99 and faster. if you build it per the rule book, it will usually pass tech. the car weighs 1650 lbs which helps it to go as slow as it does :D and doesn't harm the trailer. ah, the trailer. it was a very old boat trailer i bought at the scrap yard for 75 bucks. it has spindles from a 3/4 ton chevy 8 bolt hubs and standard trailer springs. i welded rect tube to make it square and put plywood on the floor. now, you would think, "that pos wouldn't carry much", but you would be wrong. i have carried a 2 ton car and about a ton of scrap metal in it, i have carried my brothers race car "j" to different tracks, i have moved all my house and tools with it, and some of my tools weigh over 1000 lbs. the single axle caused the frame to get bent over the years in a strange s shape. i straightened it out a little and it still works ok. i built the thing back in '80 to carry a 780lb flathead rail i had built and i only carried it 1 time and sold it. it has carried just about everything than what i built it for. i broke a main leaf on one of the springs once. if i can do this right, here is my photobucket thingy. i have built some neat stuff in my life and most of it was before most people thought they were cool.
http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s297/flatheadgary/

I just went through your Photobucket. You've been a busy man with a variety of automotive and cycle interests. I'm guessing you ain't no kid anymore, just like me.
I see your Bantam has been a cover car. It's a fine looking machine. The guys building fenderless later model trucks like yours face the problems you have described. Taking 14 inches out helps that a lot. Having the frame real narrow at the firewall presents a visual problem unless there are 'weedburner' headers or something else to fill the gap. I use the 'Reverse Mullett' theory; if the truck is long from the firewall forward, then it can be short in back. If it is a pretty standard length from the firewall forward then the box should be a little longer. But what do I know? I'm just a blacksmith at heart.
I admire your ingenuity in building your trailer. I picked up 9 pieces of 12' long pallet rack beams. They are 6" deep and 2 1/2" wide. Got the bunch for $140 and they are new. I think they will be good for building my trailer which will hold a 2,000# drag car. I might even put it in the "Builds" section here.

thanks for the reply. no, i am not all that young anymore, almost 60 now. the trailer sounds fine too. on a side note, do you know why they were called blacksmiths? or why bikers wore black? it comes from the fact that they would get their clothes and themselves so black by the end of the day. bikers would get so oilly and dirty riding the early bikes. i just heard this the other day. see you later. oh yea, what kind of drag car you got?

2007_0808bing0154.jpg

406 sbc, 350th w/trans brake, 9" Currie
But, I want to build a Hambster, if you're familar with the HAMB dragster movement.

boy, when i saw that crosley, i laughed out loud. in my photobucket you saw that yellow one. that belongs mustache mike, a friend. there is another one mike and billy built that's running now and another being built by billies nephew right now. i found one at the swapmeet for 500 bucks that was just a shell, but very nice. i couldn't find anyone that wanted it. the two that are running now both have 302 fords and go about 11.20. it is to bad we aren't closer, with as many crosleys running, everybody would think there was a factory near by. billy won his bracket sunday and mike and i went 3 rounds. what kind of events do you run your crosley at? man, would you fit in at the anra! check out their site.http://www.anra.com/ we have another race in 2 weeks at bakersfield and i am going to make a print of your car to show the guys. they'll love it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back