Chevy/Reo?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's pretty cool. Poor dumb me, didn't know you could tint the resin.
What did you use?
Looking too clean to call it a rat.
Nice hot rod!

Believe me, there was a big sigh of relief when I realized this was going to work. I do need to kill the shine. I trimmed the excess glass off today. Family day so that's all I accomplished. The supplier gave me a little jar of black dye. It is in paste form.

Yes, Bruno, it would make a nice hard bed cover.

Here you can see the texture of this heavy 20 oz glass cloth. Next is covering the vertical surfaces and butting the material to the cut lines of the already applied material. I'm a bit nervous about getting a good fit.

Now that I see it laid on your roof my A.D.D. brain kicked into high-and-a-half gear...

I wonder if next time you did a couple of raised bows under the lid so it kinda looks like fabic stretched over top bows. The couple of bows sticking up would give it a touch of convertible top look and sell the "Fabic" look to it. Just thinking out loud... carry on...[P

Yes, this would be a good way to make a hard surface convertible-looking top.
While the last bits of fiberglass were curing today, I washed the 292 motor block with Castrol Super Clean and rinsed. I got the complete engine from Todd here on RRR for less than rebuildable core price. Took it all apart just to assure it was ready to run. after cranking it over and having low compression readings. There was a fair amount of carbon on the piston tops and in the valve pockets. I think the carbon was preventing the valves from sealing. The inside of this engine is excellent. I am reassembling it with the rings and bearings that were in it when I took it apart. I'm just not telling the engine it was apart. It'll never know.[ddd

I forgot to mention, this engine has two rebuilder tags on it, same company. All six cylinders are sleeved. Never seen this before.

Last edited:

All the fiberglass is in place. It will be painted matte black. Now working on molding ideas for around the edges.

I think I would have just covered the board and painted the steel body color. It is starting to look like a fiberglass lift-off roof for a roadster pickup.

Started making the moldings to go around the faux-vinyl top edge. Using 1/8" by 7/8" flat stock with #10 flat head bolts to attach it. Hoping this, along with painting the top flat back will eliminate that removable top look Flipper mentioned.

Last edited:

It's going to get a little tricky around the back as I have to bend the metal against its width. Fortunately, not too much bend is needed. Just have to be careful to follow the beltline contour. Also, will need to make a frame around the rear window.

Last edited:

Finished the molding over the doors, down, and around the belt line. Surprising how long it took. Now debating whether to paint it black like the top or nickel plate the molding so it stands out and acts as a separator between the body color and the "vinyl" top.

Checked with a local home improvement store and they can mix a gallon of Rustoleum that is very close to the color I want. $28.00.

Latest posts

Back