Dodge/Chevy/GMC/Plymouth

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a little time in yesterday, seems to be going slow lately. I did get the rear springs cleaned up, painted and remounted along with a 2" drop kit. I have to send the rearend to the shop because I cant get the hub off of either side to look at the brakes. I destroyer my puller and a rental from Auto Zone trying to get them off. Also got the heater in and the controls from the 50 Dodge that I bought for parts installed. this is a really cool looking little heater control! The picture didnt come out to well but here it is anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_1058.JPG
    IMG_1058.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1053.JPG
    IMG_1053.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1054.JPG
    IMG_1054.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
I got my grill primered and mounted, along with the radiator. Also got headlights wired and assembled. My rearend should be done this week; the shop got the hubs off for me and they're putting a pinion seal in it while they've got it.

Attachments

• IMG_1060.JPG
    IMG_1060.JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1061.JPG
    IMG_1061.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 52
Dang rear end shop STILL not finished with my rearend, they ordered a pinion seal and it's taking forever. I made a great score at work. A company in my building moved their IT dept to an offsite location and gave me this cool rack that used to hold big power supplies. It's made of Unistrut and angle iron and it's making a perfect frame for the bed! Also, here's some tail lights I'm making out of some weird light fixtures that used to be above our security desk. I'm using connecting rods for brackets.

Attachments

• IMG_1069.JPG
    IMG_1069.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1070.JPG
    IMG_1070.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1071.JPG
    IMG_1071.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1072.JPG
    IMG_1072.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 34
Thanks Gastrick! I got out there today and welded in the rails for my gas tank and got it mounted. I used the tank out of that 50 Dodge I bought for parts. I got lots of good stuff out of that heap for myself, sold $500 in parts from it, and just sold the carcass last night for $100. Not bad for a $250 investment.:)

Attachments

• IMG_1073.JPG
    IMG_1073.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1074.JPG
    IMG_1074.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1075.JPG
    IMG_1075.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 12
Whoever came up with Presidents day is pretty cool, cause it gave me another day in the garage this week. I got one bedside put together and trial fitted. These were off of a 65 Chevy longbed so i had to cut 30" out of the middle of them and weld them back together, plus patch a bunch of holes where the wheelwells bolted on. A full days work to get one to this point and the other one cut.

Attachments

• IMG_1076.JPG
    IMG_1076.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1077.JPG
    IMG_1077.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1078.JPG
    IMG_1078.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 34
I spent much of the weekend working in the garage. I made some support rods for the radiator and got them installed. I got the rearend in, hooked up, rear shocks put in and brakelines connected. I started to bleed the brakes but found a pinhole in one of the front lines, so we'll get back to that. Accelerator linkage is built and installed; I used parts from the 50, the 48 and welded on a wrench for the gas pedal. I know it's been done a million times but I always liked the look. Finally I cut down the other bedside and got it welded back together. It's coming together pretty good, still hoping for an early spring launch.

My garage looks like a grenade went off in it right now; I'm planning on cleaning it after the truck is mobile. I got a lot of little stuff done this weekend; not much worthy of pics. I got mounts made for the front shocks and got them installed. Made a fuel pump block off plate for the flathead since I'm going electric. pulled the grille and radiator and added a couple more braces underneath; it had too much side to side movement. It's good now and back together. I was fishing through junk boxes and found a wiring harness with a good fuse box from a ?????? I was building and decided to use it. I've got the box mounted and starter and basic ignition circuits wired, also started on the headlight circuits. Finished up heater and radiator hoses. This "Peel & Seal" stuff is really cool and cheap; about 1/10th the cost of Dynamat! Bought enough to do the floor for $35.00. Went to the boneyard and got a red 3rd seat out of a minivan. I think it's going to fit really nice. Oh yeah, my birthday is coming up Friday so hopefully there'll be more car parts coming. I'm getting anxious for a test run if you couldn't tell!

Attachments

• IMG_1085.JPG
    IMG_1085.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1086.JPG
    IMG_1086.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1087.JPG
    IMG_1087.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 15
No pics today but a MAJOR milestone for me. I finished mounting and wiring the GM alternator, ran the fuel line and hooked up the electric fuel pump, welded up a lead pipe for the exhaust, hooked up the temp and oil gauges and FIRED THE MOTOR! It started right away and runs unbelievably good. Never heard a 60 year old motor that was so quiet and didn't smoke. I'm a proud pappa. :D:D:D

Thanks for the support Bonehead! I was beginning to think I was the only one reading this thread. I spent the day working; I'm getting really anxious to drive this! At least I can start it and sit behind the wheel now. In the past week i got the generic dynamat put down, the mounting brackets for the seat made and installed, headlights and dimmer wired, alternator wired, exhaust put on, a 95 T-Bird electric fan installed, bed sides welded on and a front panel for the bed made and installed. Also fitted a Stewart Warner sending unit in the fuel tank and finished the battery box. Closer and closer to cruise time; I know my wife is ready for me to stop being in the garage all day every Saturday. She's been pretty understanding about me wanting to finish this for spring cruizin'.

Attachments

• IMG_1088.JPG
    IMG_1088.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1089.JPG
    IMG_1089.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1090.JPG
    IMG_1090.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1091.JPG
    IMG_1091.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1093.JPG
    IMG_1093.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 16
Hopefully just a few weeks. I have to go back through the brakes; the master cylinder I tried to rebuild is leaking along with the front wheel cylinders. They were too pitted to hone, I guess. Anyway, I have to send it off for an exchange to buy a new one. A little more wiring and fabricating, paint the wheels and get tires, find a drivers door and paint the passenger one; I'm definately closing in on it. Thanks for asking!

Thanks for the response, everyone! There are some really cool looking builds going on here. I did get it back on all 4 feet in the last few weeks, got a tailgate built and started on my tail lights. Really not too much left. I got the front of the doors primered tonight but I may have to redo them. Multiple gun and paint problems over the last few days. I'm painting the insides of them tomorrow night if all goes well, and hope to have them back on by Sunday night. After the doors are back on I need to pull the master cylinder and get a new one, a couple front tires, a little wiring, primer the bed......I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Attachments

• IMG_1094.JPG
    IMG_1094.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1095.JPG
    IMG_1095.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1096.JPG
    IMG_1096.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1097.JPG
    IMG_1097.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 25
Thanks! I love those Dodge cabs, I was looking for one when I found this GMC cab. The price was too good to pass up and it had a clear title. I'll post some more pics next weekend, hopefully with doors installed. I've been building two decent doors out of 4 crummy ones for the past week.

Got quite a bit done the last few days; I got some primer on the bed and doors, mounted the doors and got the handles working. Also wired up the tail lights and fuel gauge sending unit. I'm going to try and get the door glass in this week. I have to convert the drivers door over to a vent from a full window because thats what I have parts for. Still need to go back through the front brakes and master cylinder, too. Moving right along, though. It's great to see some doors on it.

Attachments

• IMG_1099.JPG
    IMG_1099.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 19

Latest posts

Back