don garlits rats and rods march 19th

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really liked Billetproof when it was held at Garlits place. I've talked to lots of people and the reactions are mixed about how they like the Gainesville venue that holds it now. Garlits place was comfy and had a friendly feel to it. Wish I could have gone to Don's place today, but Dan's car just isn't quite ready yet.

Don

so my girlfriend and I hit the Garlits show. walked around there for a bit and heard that when they all started to roll out they were headed to the Villages up the street. We headed out there and walked around Main Street there for our second car show of the day. As we were finishing up there she looks at me and asked if we could go to Old Town. So we head out there for our THIRD car show of the day. Great day. Then on the way to run some errands we pass by the Casselberry Hooter's where the Orlando Bowtie Club and Mid-Florida Cruisers have their meet. She said we should stop by, so make that 4 car shows in 24 hours. I love my girlfriend.

There was about 1/3 the turn out as the previous rat and rod show. The show opened to chaos about how and where the cars were to be parked and where vendors were suposed to set up. There was NO promotion of the show in the weeks prior to the event. I actually heard people talking about the rift between the Garlits crowd and the billetproof crowd. I personally know many people that did not go the Garlits show because of billetproof next month. Alot of people were really ****ed off about the turnout and lack of promotion. The slim crowd was cut in half by noon and by two it was pretty much over. Don did not even fire up his horn or any race car. But they had some really porky "pinup models" that you could pay to sit on your car and get a pic taken. SWEET, pig dents in your hood. Not discounting those that did show, I was there and like everyone else made the best out of the day and had a good time. Just was amazed at the lack of participants this year. ALOT of the people there will not be going to the billetproof show in some kinda solidarity to Mr Don. I dunno I'll do'em both and smile. It is the drive to the show that makes it good for me anyway. I did see more of a bad trend, trailer rats. totally cobbled together and totally not roadworthy, grossly unsafe. Just for the shock value of a "rat rod" of course they all had the cryin' baby, and the plastic rat glued to them. or even better the ****in' dog.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-L-s5NU8rP.../Nck1zZJibKs/s1600/big+daddy+car+show+058.JPG

See ya at billetproof

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm sorry to hear that too. I really enjoyed the two shows we went to at Don's place, the first was Billetproof #1 and the second was Don's Rats and Rods show. The place was packed both times and the organization was very good as far as parking, vendors, etc.

We just couldn't make both shows and had to choose, so Billetproof works better for us. But I REALLY hate it that they moved it so much further North to Gainesville. Ocala was a stretch, but Gainesville is really out there for us.

The other think is that traditionally I have not cared for any fairground shows. They are just a little impersonal IMO and the parking area is not the best sometimes. Hope Billetproof is as much fun as the first one we went to.

Don

BTW, I'm thinking of buying one of those crybaby dolls and displaying it UNDER my tires. [ddev

Latest posts

Back