E-Rattus E-Roddus

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New Tailgate

I traded a friend for a tailgate (1950ish)and decided it was time to tackle this little project. The PO had put on a Rossen Koenig service body tailgate. It was small and didn't look right. So I thought I would change it. Here is a pic when I first got it.

IMG_1610.jpg

Here is the tailgate in question. I had already cut all the rust off the top and bottom of the tailgate. Next the width needs to be cut down quite a bit.
IMG_1546RESIZE.jpg

So I started out with new tailgate hinges and some tubing for the bottom section.
IMG_1544.jpg

Don't mind the spacers for the tailgate hinges, they get ground down later.
IMG_1545RESIZE.jpg

Moving on with making the sides of 3/4 X 3/4 Angle Iron and another piece of tubing for the top rail. I cut the tailgate to the right size and tacked it in the frame.
IMG_1858RESIZE.jpg

When it came to the way the gate would open and close. I didn't want a bunch of chains in the back. I wanted something nice and clean.
IMG_1862.jpg

IMG_1863.jpg

I used 1/8" Aluminum Cable and used the original hooks. They close and latch to the original chain. I cut sections to make 2 loops with the hook in the middle to secure the tailgate.
IMG_1861RESIZE.jpg

Here is the end product. Good enough for a rat rod. Here is the old tailgate leaned up to it so you can see the difference.
IMG_1549RESIZE.jpg

Sorry about that.....

I like it a lot..... not sure how I missed this one....cudo's man...made it look like it belongs there.....great job..!![cl

Had to go back thru the whole build again this morning,started out as an awesome little truck and just keeps getting better..tailgate looks great too..

Tim

Nice improvements on your ride, it's lookin great.

I tried that "vertical " license plate on a boat trailer once & the
Highway Patrol Officer didn't like it, so I had to change it back to
the horizontal.

Nice job & I love your new garage too :)

I agree on the vintage aircleaners better than the stacks...

Very nice work on everything!

Last edited:
UPS showed up today
IMG_3604.jpg

Finally got the front back together. Man is it better.
I cut off the old batwings and bought some new ones along with a new spring.
New Drag Link
Next will be F1 shock mounts. Does anyone know if I can bend them or will they break. They look cast.

IMG_5210.jpg

IMG_5205.jpg

Last edited:
Baffles

You took something nice and made it wikked i like it , can you post a link to where you got the baffles i'm thinking about zoomie pipes on mine and i will need some baffles

Mike

Latest posts

Back