Fiat, Second Time Around

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FiatRearSpringsAgain002.jpg

I never liked this "weight jacker" rear spring mounting setup I built. Too bulky. When it proved to be outboard to the point where I couldn't get wheels on it, I decided to redo it.

FiatRearSpringsAgain003.jpg

I got the coil over shock parts from the RRR Classifieds. Made lower spring pads that move the springs inboard about 2 inches. Pictured are 8inch springs that are way too stiff. They worked good for mock up though.

Since I'm not using shocks inside the springs I added the tubes to the bottom pad and the top mount to prevent spring pop out.

FiatRearSpringsAgain006.jpg

Here's the whole works assembled and tacked in place. The stiff 8" spring will be replaced by a much softer 12" spring that will compress to 9" when all the weight is on it.
The threaded aluminum coil over sleeve with its locking rings allows for some ride height adjustment.
Once ride height and spring rate is set I'll trim the inner upper and lower sleeves as needed to allow ample spring movement. Might even set it up as an internal bump stop.

I can now use a 16" by 8" rim with 4" back spacing. That's what all this redesign was about.

If you need to look at springs pretty cheap, e-bay has them for acura integra's and honda civic's pretty reasonable!! They just might be soft enough!

You do know you now have all the parts to make a coil over set up. That would realy clean it all up. just my $.02

PowerRings003.jpg

Looks pretty empty under there. I took the rear end to Jerry the Sandblaster. To
day marks a turning point in the Fiat build. The body is coming off and all the final welding on the frame/cage will be done in the next several days.
There's still a large amount of work ahead but almost all the metal fabrication is done.

A special Thank You to Rodguy 1 who gave me valuable fiberglass handling information. More importantly, he gave me the confidence to make all the modifications to the body.

jfg455, Yeah, I know I was only a retaining ring away from using coil over shock assembies. I wanted the shocks mounted independently in case I try autocross with this thing. Makes it easier to change shocks or relocate them.

FiatFrameWeld001.jpg

The frame is naked now. Spent the day welding, welding welding. Lots of joints. Welding tubing joints all around is a real pain. It's about 80% done.

Tomorrow I''m gonna count the number of pieces that went into this frame. Any guesses?

Lots of Pieces

MoreWelding001.jpg

The welding is complete. Whew! I'm not superstitious but I don't like seeing the frame upside down.:eek:

One hundred eight seven (187) pieces were fabricated and welded together to build this frame. And a few more to go. No wonder I'm tired.

Good guess, Dr. C.

Hey Sam, I feel inferior when I look at the chop on your Olds. I could never do that.

looks good Bob. At least this way you know it will hold you upside down![cl

FrametoJerrys001.jpg

The frame is loaded and ready to go to Jerry the Sandblaster.[cl It's not very rusty, however paint willl stick better to a sandblasted surface.
The last couple days I mounted all the aluminum interior pieces, drilling holes & tapping some where desired. Most of it will be installed with large 3/16" pop rivets. Also welded a number of tabs to allow for clamping lines and wires as they run to and fro.
Started to assemble the rear end but found out I need axle seals, a pinion seal and a yoke saver. It's always something.
I'm pretty bummed about what a tight fit it is inside. Might be hard to drive very far. Will most likely make the shoulder bar removable and install it only when racing. There's a thread about naming your hot rod. I've decided to call this one the "Stupid Car".:confused:

It's always something.....

If everything went as planned we / you wouldn't know what to do!! Sorry about the bumps in the road, but I'm sure that you'll sort them out...:D

GreyFrame001.jpg

Give an old guy a 1 1/2" foam brush, a quart of Rustoleum Gloss Smoke Grey and several hours and the frame has the first coat of paint. It's very tiresome kneeling, bending and stooping to paint all around tubing.

The first coat doesn't cover very well but acts as a base for the second coat. I've got two coats on some suspension parts and they look quite good.

Didn't want to spray enamel and have to clean up the overspray.

Latest posts

Back