Fiat, Second Time Around

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WattsLink001.jpg

The rear axle is centered by this grossly overdone Watts link. Given more thought a simpler arrangement would have done just as well.
Rat IHC, the set up is a parallel 3 link. That's the reason for the Watts Link. I kinda copied an Art Morrisson design for Camaros

not really grossly over done but sturdy comes to mind. Might want to put some nuts on those bolts though..... :D Looks nice!

i like it! i don't think it looks over done either.! I kinda wish I had done a watts on mine...

now I know for the next one!

FiatBodywork001.jpg

Well, the 400 block is in a shop for a few repairs and the crank is out being reground. I grabbed the heads I intended to use but a couple exhaust seats were hammered and the guides need to be replaced.
With these set backs I decided to push the chassis out of the way and finish the body. I got it positioned on my frame table, er, I mean rickety saw horses. The next week will be filled with itchy, dust eating work.

Yes, Jammer, it'll be at BTT50's.

PaintRemove007.jpg

In the foreground is the 400 block with fresh cam bearings and a little hone job on the cylinders. The crank was turned to 20-20. Waiting for the bearings which are on order.
I got the Weld Rodlites back from the guy I sold my Model A to. He ain't using them. They are 14's with 185-60 tires. I hope they will corner well as that is one of the objetives for this car. Thinking of sandblasting the wheels and painting them black, so they don't look like Weld Rodlites. lol
The rear wheels in the picture are just for rolling it around.

PaintRemove008.jpg

Back 7 or 8 years ago when I built the Fiat the first time I spray bombed the inside with undercoating. It held up pretty well but did peel in some places after sitting out in the woods for a few years uncovered.
The last three days I've been removing all the undercoating.
I want to recoat the inside again, with something thick and paintable. Thinking of using 3M Body Shutz undercoating, which is applied with a special syphon gun. Anybody have any experience with the stuff?

Yes, Flipper, good idea. I did that on the wheels on my Plymouth truck. All I have to do is buy bare alumnum rear wheels instead of black and I can do the same process to them.

Cornfield Customs, I got the Woodpeckers. Very Cool! Thanks.

I have used it before and I don't think it will set up the way you want it to. It will be rubbery? maybe thick and squishy is a better way to describe it. And it is heavy. Why not spray it with lizard skin? it will build, insulate and it paints very well. Still be rough textured and it is light as heck compared to the Shutz. Just my $.02

LizardSkin004.jpg

jfg455, I took your advice and looked at Lizard Skin for an interior coating. I recalled that it was possible to make an equivalent at home for a lot less money. Went to a composites supply company and got a gallon bucket of microbubbles and some carbosil, a thickening material. Then I bought an exterior latex enamel. Mixed the paint and bubbles 1 to 1 and added the carbosil until the paint had the consistency of cake batter. It applied nicely with a foam brush.
What you see in the pic is a test patch with the first coat. Looks like two coats will be enough.
There's Youtube video of the effectiveness of Lizard Skin as a heat insulator and it looks good.

WhiteDone006.jpg

Completed two coats today. I made the second coat even thicker and it went on like butter. I wonder if all that white will cause glare and make it hard to drive.

GJunctuionMIke, I stripped the undercoating with paint remover, then wiped it all off with abrasive pads and hot soapy water. Rinse and let dry. I figured that was enough prep. The center portion where I filled the top was very smooth so I sanded that with 60 grit discs.

FiatBodywork012.jpg

When I made the door openings it was necessary to wrap fiberglass cloth and mat around and on to the exterior of the body. So I had to taper the raised area around the doors into the quarters and rockers. Fill and sand, fill and sand. It's pretty close now.
Hopefully, when the doors are hung they won't require too much work to follow the contours of the quarters.

Latest posts

Back