gas tank cleaning

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midnite kid

would like to clean out my fuel tank on my 61 cadillac,but the radiator shops dont boil them out anymore because the gov are taking harsh chemicals out of the shops.anybody have any good ideas to clean one out:confused:

heard of people using vinegar... but also heard that over exposure can cause problems and you need to seal it immediately afterwards.

Drop the tank, put in some clean gas or solvent with a length of good size chain. Get a friend and shake the bejeezus out of it for as long as you can. Empty, refill and repeat until clean. Crude, but it works...

I did the same thing to a pair of motorcycle tanks. Chains and nuts and bolts worked for me. A lot of shaking involved though!:( But it worked![cl...CR

Get a poly or aluminum tank and dont waste time on those old ones. I had one cleaned at a rad shop and it still was not good , kept having rust problems in the fuel that srewed up the plugs after a few minutes of running.I ended up going to the wreckers and getting a poly tank that was the same size and shape for twenty bucks and never had problems again. Any car that sits a lot and has a tank that was rusty is going to be a problem.

boiled it

found one of the last radiator shops in the area that will boil it out,really clean now,epa keeps messing with all these shops,the stuff we take for granted is disappearing quickley

a trick the old tractor guys use is add gas or solvent and nuts, chain, gravel whatever, then strap it the rear wheel of another tractor and go for a drive..let the tractor roll that stuff around for you..

Tim

Latest posts

Back