Gonna pay Ratty 46 a little visit.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spent today dismantling the parts I got from Ratty 46. All of it was in great shape. I removed the intake and both heads to see what it looked like inside, and it really isn't bad at all. The engine spins over freely with a rachet and the bores are very clean, no scoring or wear. I think someone has been inside this motor at one time because one head is a different color than the other, and things just look too clean for a 62 year old motor. The water passages are not all rust scaled up and the insides look pretty clean too. I didn't see any evidence of heat cracks, although magnafluxing is the real test there, I guess.

All in all, I think a simple hot tanking, cylinder hone job, valve lapping, rings, bearings, and gasket set will make this one ready to use. I don't plan on making it a high performance flathead, just a fairly dependable motor to drive around town.

All of the parts I got are really clean and rustfree, thanks to it being a Kansas car. The front spindles are nice, and I am going to trade Dan for his roundback spindles because he needs these squareback ones for the Wilson Welding '39 Lincoln brakes he will be using. I'm going to avoid the temptation to start mocking up these parts with Dan's old roadster pickup body, because I'll never get my Dodge done if I start playing with this one. :p But I sure am tempted. :D

Thanks again Paul. You did right by me bud. :)

Oh, my "vacation" is over for a while. My friend that I worked with at the Marina finally got off of his butt and called me yesterday. He is still slow, but wants me for 3-5 days a week, which is perfect for me. So tomorrow I start work at 8 am. I'm pretty happy about that, and it will be nice to actually be making some money for a change.

Don

Sounds like you you have a really nice foundation for the next project Don. Now go to bed. You have to get up and go to work tomorrow :D

I really enjoy threads like this. It's so easy to become cynical watching the news, etc. Our branch of Hot Rodding is quite like the old days (I was there) in that guys helped each other and didn't try to make a bunch of money from a fellow rodder. Sorry about your returning to work... Oh wait a minute, you WANT to work. Good luck, Don, with the roadster project.

Well....... as I said on another forum....... Don is a Hot Rodders ... Hot Rodder! When talking to Don it was if I'd known him forever. He is a stand up guy.

A better person couldn't have gotton my parts. I know they will go to good use between he & his son. I find the work they do top notch - so the parts won't be wasted.

As for pix of the caddy - they've already been on the net on a few drag race sites so borrowing them probably won't be that big an issue.

As for Sheppard Race Cars......the brothers Lunsford, Chris & Brian, are top notch. They employ some dependable talented craftsman. I'm the lucky one..... I use to build pro street cars with their Dad (who still teaches automotive at a local tech school) so it was a natural to get advice and direction on UP TO DATE suspension techniques.

I'll be doing all of the cutting out, part of the design work & probably 1/2 of the welding work - due to a real daily job - that gets in the way.

I'll continue to post progress pix on my build in the "build" section here.

Both my wife, Donna, & I enjoyed meeting Don & wished he'd had a few xtra days to hang out to BS.

As for the trailer set up...... I'm a bit strong minded & I had a idea how I would haul it so.... that's how it ended up. I felt comfy that nothing would fall off the trailer on the long trip home.

Good luck with the parts ........ you can buy me a drink in Daytona.

Paul aka/ Ratty 46

Latest posts

Back