Has anyone mounted relays in the front?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJ3100

My roadster (48 Firetruck roadster) has quite a bit of free space on the frame under and in front of the engine.

I would like to mount the headlight, fan and horn relays close to the alternator to keep the high amperage wires short and simplify the wiring in the cab. I'm looking for an interesting idea to camouflage the relay panel.

Does anyone have photos or ideas about what to mount them in?

Thanks

Radio Shack sells an assortment of plastic boxes.I used this one for my comp relay.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2011-09-05 18.39.32.jpg
    2011-09-05 18.39.32.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 135
Thanks for the responses.

I am trying to stay away from an obvious electrical rectangular box and make it look like something it's not. It will be visible to anyone looking at the car and I'd like it to be a detail.

The sky is pretty much the limit on that one. If you just use it as a cover, you could use an old can with the bottom cut out, a gutted radio or electronic device, wooden cheese box, ammo box, stack of 8-tracks hollowed out..... Go to a junk/'antique' store and find something.

Thanks guys, good ideas.

I'm going to the Long Beach Swap Meet in a couple weeks and to a local swap meet this a.m. I'll be looking for the ideal housing.

Here's my solution

I got 2 SS steam table pans from a restaurant supply and turned the lip on the lid. Mounted the relays, a fuse panel, and a Maxi Fuse. Made a bracket to mount the box to the frame.

Attachments

• 6 lid.jpg
    6 lid.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 2 lid on bench.jpg
    2 lid on bench.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 1 relays lid open.jpg
    1 relays lid open.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 3 in frame closed.jpg
    3 in frame closed.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 39
  • 4 in frame open.jpg
    4 in frame open.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 5 frame lid on.jpg
    5 frame lid on.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 38
Where does the Sterno can go? =)

That is a cool looking relay box!

On a serious note, condensation can be an issue, especially with metal and enclosed areas that are not sealed.
I'm not sure if it would be sever enough to cause you issues with your relays, but I thought I would mention it.

I was worrying about keeping the water and dirt out.

I hadn't thought about condensation. It is close enough to the engine to pick up some heat, which would make condensation. I'll have to give some thought to making it air tight.

My other cars have the fuse and relay panel under the dash. Most people build cars and put them under the dash. I thought I would try something different.

I usually put a junction box in the same area to split the wires to the lights and provide a good ground terminal. Why not include the relays in the same location?

I will be using a 21 pin Weatherpak connector to bring the wires into the cab. By keeping the high amperage wires in the frame I have less possibility of resistance problems with that connector as it ages.

Besides, as Earthman says, "You have to give people lots of things to look at."

That's a great solution DJ, it looks cool! Regarding sealing it; have you thought about laying some foam tape on the inside lip, which would them compress when it closes? Just a thought.

I am getting to old to get up under a dash now too,,,,,,but, it does rain in norcal and electrical gremlins live there too. new cars have there stuff up high and very protected from splash. cool box

Here is the headlight relays I added to my 72 Blazer after the headlight switch melted. I put in the terminal, fuses, 90's Chev trouble light and relays on the inside of the fender. Not very neat but it's a driver and the hood usually is closed keeping critics out. In my defense the wiring was already a mess due to the addition of a huge stereo system by the previous owner so I just added to the problem. No problems with water, even when I spray out the engine bay. I see in all the LMC truck catalogues they sell the exact thing (minus the trouble light) for $30 and it even looks a tad more professional.

Attachments

• P1020396.JPG
    P1020396.JPG
    159 KB · Views: 18
  • P1020397.JPG
    P1020397.JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 14

Latest posts

Back