Hello from Kentucky

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yeah you guys are right, I think I will just focus on building up some funds and leave it out there and hopefully my dad will leave it in the barn. It has a dirt floor will that be ok? The truck sat in a barn in northern Indiana for many years. The roof leaked in several places and ate away the metal on the hood and fender. I was going to fix those rather than replace, (too expensive) and some of the larger spots use old license plates etc. Like you said, this hobby is for fun, thats what hot rodding is right, a piece here, a piece there etc. An extra 6cyl with powerglide, and a mid fifties Olds rocket with auto trans came with it. Lots of options to choose. The only thing is there is no legroom for me, I am 6'5" and I don't think I can make enough room with removing the tank. Can I move the area with the pedals forward? I would probably switch to an auto trans. Got to go to work, later and thanks for the ideas. Brian

Ya just get used to hangin your knees to the side.

I doubt taking out the tank will give you any more room. The seat will probably hit the wall before the tank.

Inside on dirt won't hurt much. It'll sit high enough even on flat tires.

Yeah I guess I will let it be for now. Dad has too many projects and wants to bring another home so he wants to move the 59 outside under a lean to with a tarp over it. A friend of mine from work said that an S-10 rear axle will fit and that a 4x4 axle is two inches wider and would be better. I really want to work on this thing but right now I am having fun building it in my head. I want it to be very low budget because I think I will get more enjoyment figuring out how to adapt different things. I think I may be able to move the pedals forward, I know I need to really look at the area to make sure. I know I am rambling so I will be quiet now, Later. Brian

Welcome to the site! These guys are amazing with the builds and pure brain power they have! I'm hoping to learn more as I LURK around LOL!

I am still planning on fixing up the old 59. My dad is getting older and I want to do stuff with him before its too late. Some guy out in Iowa wants to buy it and cut out the back window and graft it on to his truck. I owe dad money so I told him he could have it and I will find something else, but I really want to see what I can do with it. This is the year I get something. Wife says I have to finish the S-10 before I bring anything home so I built a tarp shelter in my driveway so I can work on that in the cold. I will keep you updated and thank you for the encouragement. Brian

Hello, welcome to the site .. I think u will make that work or as others have said find a older one with less cancer.. [;) My first was a 55 apache and it was the fastest thing in my home town for three years. It's still around and still rolling up & down the road just a little slower though.[P

Latest posts

Back