Just one peice of advice

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pistolpete

Basically if you were only able to give a newb just one peice of advice before he dug into a build what would it be. Let's assume I know absolutly nothing other then hot/rat rod look cool, and I want one.

To give a little background I was on another un-named site and was quite disheartened by the advice being given to a guy who wants to build a car, and the advice being given was enough to make you pack it up and head on home before even starting anything. I figured this was a little more level headed site and I might actually gain some good advice/knowledge, as well maybe provide some tips for others thinking about diving into this disease.

Thanks in advance,
PistolPete

Best advice I know of, is to ask lots of questions.... because nobody knows everything.... and the ones who think they do are sadly mistaken....

There are a great group of guys on this site that know what they are talking about... are willing to help.... and in most cases can talk you through the toughest job...

My advice... is to take it slow... don't let anybody tell you that you can't do something... and have fun..... and when you come up with a problem, ask for help...

Read as much as you can, ask a lot of questions, don't be afraid to try something different. (is that one thing?)

Well no thats 3... :p

But I was expecting that. I just didnt want to see this degrade as the other thread I saw, so thought if we all could toss a couple things up it would not be so conveluted and that it would remain helpful to anyone/everyone looking to start a project.

First have a dry secure wired for electricity place to do it. Without that it is more grief than fun and the possability of actually completing a project is slim.(also stay away from thoses un-named
car sites)

I agree, for me working on my Jeep in the driveway got old, so when we were in the market for a house, my only requirement was a garage. I am slowly learing that your second comment isnt far off the mark ;)

I agree about having a garage. Built a 54 ford pickup out in the street, I didn't even have a driveway yet. Got old REAL quick!:confused: The only thing I would say to a new builder is to have something in mind before you start buying parts. Meaning don't just by something for your project because it's a good deal. Most people don't have the extra money to throw around. Know what you want the end result to look like......my 2Cents worth....CR

Pete,
Plan what u wanna do 1st & then just do it & keep doin' it. If you run into trouble or something u're not sure of... don't be afraid to ask for help!

BoB

Make sure the better half is happy FIRST! Washer, dryer, fridge, stove, dishwasher, microwave, and a decent vehicle. Now you can play in the garage without any problem. Learned that combo 40 years ago, really works. Sniper;)

There isn't really a whole lot for me to add, everything above is pretty much dead on.

Know when to outsource work you may not be equiped to do.(welding for me)
Biuld it for safety first
Keep it as cheap as possible...(Take note of screen name)... :D

Thats all I can think of

well i think the best advice has been said! theres no stupid questions, cause that question could save yours or someone elses life! i personally ask alot questions, obsevred alot of builds, drew out my ideas and presented them to others for advice! sometimes i didnt like it but i still listened! dont do anything you feel might be out of your skill range! barter as much as you can trade when ever possible!and never forget those who helped ya out! and remember not everyone is going to like what you have done! but it really sucks if you dont like it! be conscience of the possiblity your first attempt may fail horrorably,but with out failure you can improve! uh! maybe not one thing but one concern ! enjoy what you do and be safe doing it! death is not a failure you can fix!

Oh and make some good friends at tle locak bone yards. They will hook you up, or they will know someone who can. Ive got one place I always go to and the guy there always takes care of me. Tons of knowledge too. These guys have seen it all. and they can really help guide you.

Biggest piece of advice I can give is, for the very first car DON't build one from the ground up...........either start with mostly finished project or a car that is already done. I know that may come across as being negative and trying to discourage anyone from building their own car, but I think you have to know how to walk before you run.

Let me sound like practical old Dad here for a minute. Anyone who has completed a car from scratch will tell you it takes a lot of all the following:

1) A big place to do it. I have built cars on a dirt floored single car garage many years ago and it is no fun. Until the car is assembled it is laying all over the place and takes up a big piece of real estate. A two car garage or carport is at least the minimum space that can be considered comfortable.

2) Tools.........not just wrenches and screwdrivers, but tools to cut, weld, and fabricate steel into the shape and parts you want. Every new piece of equipment we buy becomes " how did we ever live without this one?" The right tools make the job easier, faster, and more professional looking. Right now we have way more money in our tools than in our cars, and there are still a lot of things I want badly.

3) Skills. Before you even think about engineering a car from nothing you need some basic mechanical and metal working skills. You need to understand WHY certain parts have to be installed in a certain way to give you the results you want. Especially in the early days of this rat rod craze we saw some very good examples of how NOT to build a car. Things like box wrenches used for steering arms, crow bars for draglinks, plumbers pipe fittings used for steering U joints, and welds that were simply goobered up on top of rusty metal. Thankfully most of that has gone away.

4) Patience.........it is going to take WAY longer to get your car together than you ever thought. You have to accept that and not get discouraged. My 27 took me 6 years to build, my Son's 30 is heading for 5 years and isn't done yet, etc.

5) Money..... junkyard scrounging and freebies only go so far. At some point you are going to have to buy some new parts and hardware and you will be amazed how much money you spend on bolts, nuts, sandpaper, saw blades, and stuff you didn't figure into the build. Every time we go to Lowes, Home Depot or Ace Hardware we drop between $ 25 and $100 on stuff that leaves the store in a very small bag.

Now, if you view those comments as negative, they aren't meant to be........simply meant them to be realistic. I have seen so many first time rodders get started with all this enthusiasm to build their dream car and then bail out because they found out they were in over their heads. I've bought a few cars from these guys for pennies on the dollar.

The reason I suggest saviing your money until you can buy something that is basically done or actually running is that in most cases you couldn't duplicate that car for the money he is selling it for. No one EVER gets out of a car all the money they dumped into building it. Look at some of the cars that sell for $ 20-$30,000 on Barrett Jackson. No question the guy spent much more than that building it.

So, to get back to my original suggestion, find a decent almost done or done car, make some improvements/ changes to make it your own, and use it as a learning experience and stepping stone to move on to the next car. No, that first car won't be your ultimate dream car, but it will be lots of fun and teach you a lot. If I would have done that 50 years ago when I started playing with these things I would have been on the road much faster and not wasted half the money I did on false starts and mistakes. :(:(

Don

Last edited:
i say a big thanks to Don there for all his advice and say i couldn't agree more!:D

my first ground up build is not done yet(goin on 9 yrs!!) but is drivable after 8

lots of listenin, looking, and learning...goes along way in any new adventure/hobby/project....

Boy, Don sure that one on the head, likea dirt floor, I'm built this rod on one and before I do another I will pour a concrete floor and those nickle and dime things sure add up. But no matter what a guy learns a little more each time

Yep...

I can agree with Don,he nailed it.But a few other add ons...PLEASE DONT go to Harbor Freight to buy your tools..!! I dont care how long you have to save..DO IT..!! Check your local Craigslist for tools,BUT remember the motto.." BUYER BEWARE.." Take someone along who knows what your after and has the experience in tools.And know this..YOU will get the" I cant build this.." blues.We all have gotten it.Step back...take a breath...go for a walk.:D And another key..IF you decide to buy something already started...BY all means..CHECK it out like a new mother looking at her baby.Crawl all over it,ask TONS of questions about why he stopped building it.What parts are missing...who did the welding..who did the brakes...Take someone with you...!! Ask on here who might live close to you and can go with you to check it out..Is there a title for the project there selling you..? Big problems can jump and bite you if there isnt one.Looking for parts.? ASK...!! I am the KING of buying parts that I cant use.:D:D..AND DAMN IT....HAVE FUN..!!!

As most have said, Don nailed it.
My one piece is buy a jalopy that runs and drives. Make it your own as you go.

I have alot of ambition, enough tools, garage space, and can get creative with money and I still think some days..."how am I gonna finish this thing"

The journey can be as cool as the destination.

Look at some of the cars that sell for $ 20-$30,000 on Barrett Jackson. No question the guy spent much more than that building it.

Yeah... usually about twice!!! :eek:

Although I could probably get every dollar back I spent on my Chevelle... er... in about er... 50-100 years! :eek::eek::eek:

BoB

Latest posts

Back