New from NJ

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShoeBoxSean

I just bought a 1950 Shoebox this past fall. I just found this site and figured I would sign up. This is the first time I have ever bought and old car. Growing up I have always liked cars but never had the opportunity to be around them. Over the past year I became friends with my tattoo artist who owns a few cars himself. I got the bug and started looking. Not to long after I bought the Ford and I love it. My wife and I decided to find a car that we would not have to start from scratch per se but one that was already along and running. Reason being between work and lack of knowledge there wouldn't be enough time to troubleshoot an entire build. The showbox I was lucky to buy has enough done to be a reliable driver and enough to do for my own personal touch.

Welcome to the site, knowing what your skills are is an important thing in being able to enjoy the car you have purchased and not get in over your head.

Hopefully you can post up some pics so we can see your ride!

Welcome Sean. Nice to hear that your wife is into this as well. It sounds like you are taking a very reasonable approach to get started....you'll get lots of support on this site.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0564.JPG
    IMG_0564.JPG
    206.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 1498026_10202699667082236_1000458336_o.jpg
    1498026_10202699667082236_1000458336_o.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 46
I have ordered some parts for work to be done. Not sure but I figured that would be for another topic somewhere else here?

Hi Shoebox and welcome to RRR from northern Alberta. I was wondering when someone would show up with one of those cars, and you're the guy. Right on. I got carried away collecting shoebox project cars over the last few years. All of your pictures will be personally scrutinized vigorously; especially when you chop the top. Good luck to you.

Welcome to RRR! Great starter project. That's the smart way to go.

Is the color black or green? Looks different in the two pics.

Start that build thread, post up a bunch of pics, and ask all the questions you can.

Thank you for all the welcomes

Welcome to RRR! Great starter project. That's the smart way to go.

Is the color black or green? Looks different in the two pics.

Start that build thread, post up a bunch of pics, and ask all the questions you can.

The car is green. I thought is was black from the pics I had seen but when I went to look at it found out it was green. It's like it was meant to be, I love it. Most of it is original Hawthorn green, The rest from where work had previously been done is a close green. You can definitely tell when your close. It's good enough for now. Now there are 3 greens on it from cleaning up a few rust spots with a rattle can. I will sure have some questions along the way, Some might sound obvious to one with skill and I have none, I've already taken the door off about 7 times trying to adjust a refurb'd hinge. I have door removal down good now lol.

Hi Shoebox and welcome to RRR from northern Alberta. I was wondering when someone would show up with one of those cars, and you're the guy. Right on. I got carried away collecting shoebox project cars over the last few years. All of your pictures will be personally scrutinized vigorously; especially when you chop the top. Good luck to you.

I have no plans to chop it, I'm 6'2" and I love the head room. Figured it was a pretty common go to car from what I have heard. A couple of guys I know have shoebox's. Honestly I'm just thrilled to have even bought an old car like this, one of the "would be nice to have one day" things.

My current 'box is a fordor but i have had a coupe and a tudor like yours. I see three carbs but can't tell what the engine is? Just a sweet looking car. Welcome to the board.

The engine is a 350. Painted gold with Oldsmobile Rocket covers. I'm guessing just for a chuckle get people scratching their heads for a sec. The car is in great shape and for the price and work done already I think it was a good buy.

Hi Shoebox, you had me eating out of your hand until you got to the part with '350 Chev in there'. ------ Oh heck, just partly pushing your buttons. I have a '50 coupe half done project with a 350 in it. One option was to try and disguise it with those Olds tappet covers, but I now have a weirder, make work dream for it. Now I'm going to put a real Olds motor in it with Cadillac rocker covers. ---Oh ya, and it will be chopped.
Welcome to the club.

Latest posts

Back