Roadtrip?? Sure, let's go !

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

For a little while now my Son Dan has been talking about getting something fun to drive on a once in a while/ daily basis. He has his Ram pickup and his hot rod, but he wanted something that was a normal sort of car, but fun.

Wednesday night, my two Sons and I were at the shop, doing nothing special, just hanging out with each other and drinking a few beers, and Dan was playing on the computer. He came out and said he had found a low mileage 2004 Mustang Mach I on Ebay that he was thinking of buying. He asked Don and I what we thought, and Don said " You really don't think you are going to get a sensible answer from Dad and me, do you ?" :D Of course we told him to do it, you only live once.

Long story short, he called the owner who said it was garage kept it's whole life, had two owners, and only had 40,000 miles on it. It was his toy and he only put 6,000 miles on it in the 4 years he had owned it. Better yet, it was bone stock, no modifications at all, except for Flowmasters. So, Dan bought it ! [cl

Then he said it was near Philadelphia, and that he was going to fly up Friday and drive it back. My response..........."I'm going too!" We got up at 3:30 Friday morning, caught a 6:00 flight to Philadelphia, rented a car, and went to see it. The car was absolutely mint, no alterations, not a scratch, and it ran like a clock. Car had never seen snow or rain either. Even the underside still has white paint on it.

We went to the local tag office, transferred the title, threw our stuff in the Mustang, and returned the rental car. By 4 PM we were on I95 and headed back home. Traffic was horrible, Friday at rush hour, and it took us forever to get out of Philadelphia. But by midnight traffic had slowed down, and we were making pretty good time on our 1150 mile return drive home.

We drove straight through, only stopping for gas and some McDonalds food, and we finally picked up my car at the airport at 3 pm today...........35 hours after getting up Friday, and we had not slept in all that time ! :eek: He would drive for a few hours while I tried to sleep, but I could never doze off, and neither could he.

Would I do it again ? Heck yeah, it was a great trip, but I came home and basically passed out for about 5 hours. We got to see some pretty fall colors that we never see in Florida, and driving his new car was a blast. It never missed a beat, but it was fun rowing that 5 speed through stop and go traffic for hours on end.

Here are some pictures of what we saw, didn't get many more, we were too busy driving and it got dark at 5 pm in Philadelphia.

This is where the guy lives, in West Chester, Pa. It was gorgeous up there.

This was the only sight we saw for the 22 hour drive back home: Could not have survived without the GPS and radar detector.

And here is Dan's new car. He is at the shop right now, getting the bugs and dirt off of it. By now he hasn't slept in over 40 hours, but he doesn't seem to mind.

Don

Last edited:
Oh, am I feeling it this morning ! :eek: We both had to work Sunday, so we couldn't stop at any motels to sleep. We did stop at some rest stops and try to get an hours nap, but both of us were so wired that we couldn't fall asleep.

At one point, at about 2 am Saturday, I was driving through (I think) North Carolina, and I was telling Dan that deer were a problem here because they run out in front of you. All of a sudden, I saw this big deer standing about 10 feet off of the road. We saw about 3 more deer further along in our trip, but, luckily, none ran in front of us.

The only real expense I had was my airfare and some burgers and (a lot) of coffee. The car got surprisingly good gas mileage, somewhere around 26 mpg, which, for a high performance motor with 3:55 gears is pretty good. That 5 gear OD really helps, we were tacking 2,000 at 70 mph.

Dan really lucked into a good one this time. It looks and runs like a new car, and, knowing the way Dan is about how he cares for his things, it will look like this for a long time. The only thing he is adding are new wider rims and bigger tires. It has something like 8 inch rims now with 245 tires, and he is getting some 9 inch rims and 10.5 for the back with something like 315 tires for the back. Same wheel design, just wider with more rubber.

His brother Don bought a brand new Mach I in 2003 and Dan always loved it. Don's was red, Dan didn't want that color as it has a special place in Don's heart, so he went with white. There were only 521 white ones made in 2004 with the 5 speed, so it is somewhat hard to find. I kind of envy him, it really is a blast to drive and pulls hard.

Don

One last picture of the area where we found the car. So pretty up there and so quaint. The town is from the 1700's and they keep all the architecture looking just like that.

Last edited:
Yep there is some pretty country and lots of history up there. I've always wanted to spend a little time in upstate NY but haven't ever had the oppertunity yet.

Sounds like you guys had a blast!

That's awesome! In 1990 I was living in Klamath falls OR and my dad flew out so he and I could drive my 76 455 4 speed trans am back to NH. I was due to go in the Marines 3 weeks after we left the west coast. Great memories of the time with him...[cl

Nice ride. Those 4.6 engines are great on gas. My mom left me a nice 2000 Gran Marquis and it got 24-25 real easy, made 31 once with a little tailwind. Nowdays cars much smaller struggle to get better than that.

We did have one incident during the trip that was a little scary. About 2 or 3 am we were near Richmond, Va and needed fuel, so we got off an exit. It was not a really populated exit, just a 7-11 kind of store and a McDonalds. Neither were very clean.

Dan was pumping gas and I went to use the bathroom. As I walked up, there was a guy sitting on the curb and he said "Do you have any loose change ?" I said that I never carry cash and walked in. The store was not exactly the pride and joy of the 7-11 chain, it was really shabby.

I went into the bathroom and as I was using the urinal, a black guy walked in and kinda milled around. He looked under the door of the toilet area and then another black guy walked in. I got a very uneasy feeling, stopped what I was doing, and walked straight out the door without even washing up. I fully expected to be punched any second ! :eek:

As I was leaving the bathroom a third guy was walking toward the door, and they were not all that busy. I thought it was very odd that so many people, who were no where to be seen previously, suddenly had to use the bathroom. Of course, the bathroom door had no lock on it.

I walked quickly to the car, told Dan to get the d*** car running, and we hit the road. I am not mentioning this for any racial reasons, just that they were in fact black. I'm pretty sure from their actions that they were not waiting for me to finish...........they were looking for an opportunity.

After that, we only got off of well lit, well populated exits or truck stops.

Don

Sounds like you got lucky Don! Being on the road all the time in the truck, I have developed a "sixth sense" about where to stop and where not to. Yours kicked in and is probably what saved you a lick on the head. Doesn't matter what race they are, two or three people milling around like that is bad news.:eek:

Ye. Like I said, I only mentioned they were black because that was what they were. I would have felt just as uneasy if they were any other race, the way they came in and were not really doing any bathroom stuff was VERY odd. They just stood behind me, and the guy who was peering under the stall door set me to thinking I didn't want to stay there very long.

Don

Latest posts

Back