The Roofus Special

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think hotrod preacher may be on the right track. Sew up some simple leather or canvas boots and call it done.

It might require some sort of spring in the boot to keep it poofed out away from the teeth on the rack. Not sure.

I think hotrod preacher may be on the right track. Sew up some simple leather or canvas boots and call it done.

It might require some sort of spring in the boot to keep it poofed out away from the teeth on the rack. Not sure.

That would actually be pretty easy... get a large but very light spring. Something that would have a large enough inside diameter to go over the shaft, and slip inside the leather/canvas sleeve. Worse case I am sure you could almost take a coat hanger or similar type metal and bend it around a 1pipe or something round to get the required shape....

What about a tubular sleeve setup - one sleeve sliding inside another. You could make it out of thin walled tubing or even sheetmetal. Then if you wanted to seal it, put the vinyl over the whole thing. Won't have to worry about the folds getting into the gear teeth in between the spring coils.

I did a little more fitting this past weekend. I still need to make nests and clamps to secure the rack.

Oh yeah, the crossmember is upside down in these pics.

IMG_0593.jpg

IMG_0595.jpg

IMG_0598.jpg

room for boots

IMG_0597.jpg

Nice work, Flipper. Can't wait to see Roofus completed. Tho, may not get to see it in person for a while. This year's probably my last Nats for a year or so.

I don't see what the fuss is about "period" boots. MG's had boots on their steering racks all the way back to 1946 with the first TD. use the stock boot and wrap the outside of it with a piece of leather/vinal/canvas when it is fully stretched out. That would hide it and you would have the modern internal sealing that you are looking for. Just my $.02

I really like the looks of the old ford spring and want to showcase it. The 90's rubber boot right next to it just seems strange to me. There has to be something cooler...I just need to find it.

IMG_0853.jpg

Got a chance to put in a few more hours this weekend (after I cut dad's grass).

Worked on mounting the rack to the crossmember. I had to come up with nests to hold the rack in the proper location.

more cop car roll bar to the rescue.

IMG_0012-2.jpg

IMG_0013-3.jpg

IMG_0014-3.jpg

a whole lot of grinding and hand filing

IMG_0015-2.jpg

IMG_0016-1.jpg

IMG_0017-1.jpg

mocked up to the crossmember

IMG_0019-2.jpg

little piece used for the other end. had to tighten up the radius to fit the rack tube.

IMG_0021-2.jpg

I really like the looks of the old ford spring and want to showcase it. The 90's rubber boot right next to it just seems strange to me. There has to be something cooler...I just need to find it.

IMG_0853.jpg

I bet you could make something out of leather similar to a lot of shifter boots that would look more period correct.

Looking good though.[;)

When I started this thing, the idea was to knock it out and drive it to Bonneville for speed week 2010. That didn't quite happen.

...but I am still going to speed week....and (maybe) the H A M B drags .....and then Frog Follies. It will be a month until I get back to Roofus. Hopefully the heat won't be as bad then.

Looks like I might be able to get something done over the long weekend. It is supposed to be nice and cool.

I really need to light a fire under my ass and get rolling with this thing so that it is functional for next season!

I am also going to put more thought into the truck of this thing so that I can pack all of the necessary Bonneville supplies in there.

Usually I would say get out there and get that thing done, but on this build I really think you should take you're time. So far everything looks soooo good it would be a shame to hurry it it up and not give the attention you've already put into it. Thats just my opinion Flipper, the front rack looks great btw. Now get out there and finish that thing. ha ha

Oh yeah, on my way out to Bonneville, I stopped by Speedway Motors (just because I could) and bought the square u-bolts that I need to bolt the front spring down.

Latest posts

Back