There's bad oil out there...............news!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I rebuilt the short block in my '36 this past winter and as soon as i ran in the cam, I changed the oil and put 4 qts oil and 1 qt Rislone ZDDP additive I got at Advance Auto Parts. I don't know if the cam is holding up, but I've put about 1200 miles on it and it hasn't used any oil yet. Iv'e never had that with news rings.

I was at Advance a couple of days ago and was going to get more for next time, and they didn't have it. I hope I can still get when I do need it.

I spend some time at V8Buick.com. Most of them run 350s or 455s, and Buick hasnt made them since about 1981. This lack of zddp is a hot topic there for anyone running flat tappets. Many get the additive from Eastwood. Sometimes they run a sale for the stuff.
Go here http://search.eastwood.com/search?asug=&w=zddp&x=10&y=9&p=Q&ts=custom and sign up for email newsletters and get the notification immediately.

Well now this is nothing new. Modern "street legal" oils will burn your flat tappet cam up.

Valvoline VR1 is acceptable.

I run Brad Penn racing oil and use Brad Penn break in oil to break in the cam.

In fact I think I will post a thread in the engine section on this. Check it out!

I use break in lube

I just got some comp cams break in lube.I add a bottle when I change oil in my work truck too.It is a 1982 chevy with flat tappet 250 6cyl engine.I also run dollar general brand oil.:eek: Why?-Because it says has special formula for 1988 and older vehicles.I have driven this truck over 17 years,and hope to drive it for many more.:)
My brother works at boat yard and uses diesel engine marine oil in his van.It has 350 V8.

So what about slick 50?
This stuff has PTFE (teflon) in 50 weight oil. The jury really never definitively said one way or the other if it actually reduces friction, but they did point out that the PTFE solids began to accumulate in non-friction areas creating a bit of a blockage, not unlike cholesterol in your arteries.
If the stuff really worked, why dont the oil companies push it? I think that report is filed in the same cabinet as the one from tobacco companies about health benefits of smoking.
ZDDP seems to be the proven additive that does what needs to be done.

Latest posts

Back