Turkey Run is only 24 more days away!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

Can you believe it is November already? Man, this year has flown. Anyway, who all is going to TR in Daytona this year. I'm taking my T, Don is TRAILERING his T! ([S..........something about he wants to make sure it is running when he gets to Daytona......big chicken!:confused:) We registered the other day and now only have to firm up our rooms.

Hope the swap meet is as good as always this year, I'm in a buying mood.:) Looking forward to seeing all our old friends there.

Don

I'll see you there Don. We're driving up in our usual clunkers. The power rack went out in my Dad's Pontiac, so we are replacing the pump and rack in it and making sure the others are ready to roll. Just doing some maintainance and making a few adjustments here and there. This is the first year that my son will be driving up with us in his own (and first) car. That make four of us in four different cars. It'll be me, my son, my Dad, and my brother.

I'll see you there Don. We're driving up in our usual clunkers. The power rack went out in my Dad's Pontiac, so we are replacing the pump and rack in it and making sure the others are ready to roll. Just doing some maintainance and making a few adjustments here and there. This is the first year that my son will be driving up with us in his own (and first) car. That make four of us in four different cars. It'll be me, my son, my Dad, and my brother.

Reading your post made me think back fora minute. Family is so important and seems you keep it close to you. My dad died 15 years ago and dont have any brothers. When yall get there hope you four Bros have a good time. Didnt mean to walk on your thread.

Bill has one of those families where they are all best friends. It starts with his Mom and Dad who are simply the nicest people on earth, and it continues down to the rest of the family. They are people that if you meet them one time you feel like you have known them all your life. They literally would give you the shirts off their backs. My Sons and I feel very lucky to know them and to get to see them every so often. We are looking forward to seeing them all again in three weeks.

And you didn't walk on this thread, you enhanced it.

Don

I,m going,,,, but not taking the hillbilly unit. It's about 10 + hours. Went last year and looking forward to going again this year. I lived in Daytona and north of Jacksonville in the late 80's - early 90's. I'll try to meet some of you guys that are going !

I've been to most of them since I moved to Florida,But this will be the first year I'll have my truck in it.[cl Looking forward to seeing Don and his sons and Bill and his dad and brother,and now his son. Don tell me that Dan is not going to drive that hot rod of his? Oh no it's a trailer QUEEN!!!![ddd Just kidding I really want to see it.[dr Been watching the build on that other site.[P

Doug:D

Well, Dan's won't be there this year either...........he's backed off from it for a while. His work schedule has been rough, he's putting in 75 + hours a week, and I think he is also a little burned out on the project. He has been dumping tons of money in it for the past 5 years, not to mention time and labor, so he got a little tired of all that. I am still trying to teach Dan that not every part has to be a 10, he needs to learn what "good enough" means. If you agonize over every little piece you will never get the car done.

Maybe he'll have it done for Billetproof in February. :)

Don

Don,

My son has this 73 Duster. It was bone stock but we've done some little things to get him started. We've added a tach, hood pins, and rear wheels/tires. We had some problems with the fitment of the front wheels that is going to require some machine work. I don't think we'll get it done before the Turkey Run. In the mean time, the kid likes the Super Stock look. Oh we got him a metal flake steering wheel too but we need to get an adapter.

What is the date for the show. I am bout 4.5 hrs from tona and would like to meet some of the guys on here?

November 26, 27, 28, 29. Saturday the 28th will be the biggest day as far as the amount of cars is concerned.

Here's a link with the details for you. There are some photos from last years show there. also.

http://www.turkeyrun.com/Turkey_Run_Home.html

I don't know how to circle things on this map to show where I'll be parked and where I am staying, but it's all at this end of the speedway.

Anybody else besides me, Don, and Wildchild going?

See that hotel with a swimming pool just above the Highway 92 sign in the top center of the map? That's where I stay.

i'm in st. augie right now counting down the days. obviously spending thanksgiving day/night with the family, but you know sure as **** i'm going to try to be there wed. night. and friday and saturday. possibly sunday as well, not sure yet.

i can't wait to see those beauties start rollin into the areas around here. 'specially the locals gettin ready for the big weekend!

and all my rods are currently in new york right now so i feel stripped and naked going without them.

but hey, as long as i'm there.

i'll be the greaser kid there.

oh wait.... um, that might be a few people, haha.

i'll come back on here later and see about trying to meet up with people.

Yep, we're getting excited too. Gonna leave on Thursday early afternoon probably.

I ran into a local rodder the other day and he tells me his club and lots of other people he knows are sort of boycotting TR this year in protest to the new rule accepting any car even brand new 2010 models. He has gone for the past 33 years and this will be the first time he has missed it. Has anyone else heard anything like this going on in your area?

I hope success and greed doesn't kill TR. They upped the entry to $ 40 from $ 25 this year and the preferred parking is now $ 75 they tell me. This might be our last year too if there are some signs it has changed dramatically, and we have been going for 25 years or more. Hope Billetproof stays the way it has been the past two years.

Don

Looks like I may be taking the Hillbilly Surf unit to Daytona after all !!! It's not fun to see all those cool rides running around and not have your own. Hillbilly goes to the beach !!! :D
Don, I think I paid $40 last year. Of course the upside to the $40 is you get 4 passes for the weekend instead of $15 per person, per day.
As far as the lift on the year models, I hate seeing brand new Mustangs, ect taking parking spots were a cool old ride could be sitting ! But if you don't go with your old rides , your letting them think that they are doing the right thing ?? Just try to park as close to them as you can and Strut your Rust !!!
Hope you guys have some warm weather down there!! :)

I just heard the latest weather report. Supposedly a cold front is coming through on Thanksgiving day and the temps might drop into the 40's at night. :eek: I sure hope not. We've been there on warm days and when it has been bitter cold. Warm is so much better.

Don

Yep, we're getting excited too. Gonna leave on Thursday early afternoon probably.

I ran into a local rodder the other day and he tells me his club and lots of other people he knows are sort of boycotting TR this year in protest to the new rule accepting any car even brand new 2010 models. He has gone for the past 33 years and this will be the first time he has missed it. Has anyone else heard anything like this going on in your area?

I hope success and greed doesn't kill TR. They upped the entry to $ 40 from $ 25 this year and the preferred parking is now $ 75 they tell me. This might be our last year too if there are some signs it has changed dramatically, and we have been going for 25 years or more. Hope Billetproof stays the way it has been the past two years.

Don

Well, I'm not very happy with the new rule of accepting ANY year vehicle in but I'm not going to panic just yet. I think in the long run, that may end up being the death of the show if it continues. I think they will lose more old cars than the new cars they gain. I'm going to keep an eye on that this year. If you go to the Turkey Run website, you can look at the registrants and the year of the vehicles that are registered. There are VERY few late models registered. Hopefully, they won't all register at the gate. I just don't want to travel that far to look at a bunch of cars that I can see on any new car lot. I thought the 1975 cut-off was liberal enough. I hope there is an organized effort to show displeasure the move, and maybe they will listen.

On the upside, our hotel room is 40 dollars cheaper per night this year. That's an extra 160 bucks for parts:D.

"strut your rust"
- now that's what i'm talking about. some people just don't understand. haha

and yeah. i haven't been in the florida area for about 2 - 2.5 years now. first time 'home' in a while. so i'm even upset i've been missing billetproof. i plan to make it one of these times tho. with 5 cars to build back in new york and me trying to head out to VLV this april, i'm not sure if i can afford to come back down anytime soon again. maybe next year for 2010's thanksgiving extravaganza. but not sure bout billetproof, unfortunately.

and yeah, me being from new york, i'm used to the cold weather so it most definitely won't be scaring me off.

try working with no garage in 20 degree snowy weather. royal pain. that's when i'm cursing me moving away from the warmer, nicer weather. tho i've always been contemplating - which is worse? the harsh north east environment? or the salt water rust living in beach towns? ones only a certain time of year and the other is all year 'round.

as for the newer rides, well, eh, no comment. keeping positive here :)

Latest posts

Back