1992 Ranger Truck Rat Rod style makeover

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewIronRats

As I stated in my other thread, im planning to do a Rat style makeover on my Ranger. My Brother gave it to me after my 1990 Caprice died. It was bought at a navy auction years ago and just an old rust bucket that I am playing with.I will keep the engine 100% stock. I am going for Looks and not speed.I hope the picture downloads ok.[;):cool: DSCN1045.jpg

Plans include an old grant steering wheel from the 80's that I have installed and an 8 ball shifter knob that I made and installed.{pictures of the wheel and shifter will be on in a few day's}I also have a mexican blanket to put over the bench seat.It will get JD Blitz Black paint when the weather gets better and I am also thinking about making a hood scoop for it.I have a set of mustang rims and a set of after market rims that are both 4 lug but I can get an adapter kit to run them on the truck {it has 5 lug rims}. I have some other idea that I still have not worked out all the way so im waiting on then for now. Yall have fun and be safe.[;):cool:[P

Sounds like a plan, but I would reconsider the wheel adapters..In my opinion, they aren't all that safe and if you ever decide to lower it, thats clearance you may need..I'd consider selling both sets of wheels and buying something that fits the truck..

Keep us updated as you make progress..

Tim

Sounds like a plan, but I would reconsider the wheel adapters..In my opinion, they aren't all that safe and if you ever decide to lower it, thats clearance you may need..I'd consider selling both sets of wheels and buying something that fits the truck..

Keep us updated as you make progress..

Tim

I had wondered about the safety issues involved with useing adaptors. I know that hot rodders used them a lot back when I was in high school. I never liked lowered trucks much.I have always wanted them to be useable and as far as I can tell lowered trucks can't haul a lot of weight. I may just keep the stock wheels and get some Moon Disks.[;):cool:[P

IMO adapters are safe, spacers are not safe. There is a problem with adapters on the front screwing with your steering geometry - but that also depends on your wheel backspacing/offset. I don't think I'd want to run either on a car I was going to push to the limits.

As for lowered trucks, rear bags are the way to go to keep them functional as trucks.

i like this one.
11111.jpg

would have gone with a low gloss but i still like it...
buddy of mine just picked up a chevy luv - thinkin bout buying it off him....
ill join you on this sorta build.

i like this one.
11111.jpg

would have gone with a low gloss but i still like it...
buddy of mine just picked up a chevy luv - thinkin bout buying it off him....
ill join you on this sorta build.

Now that is a nice truck.Yes please, get the Luv and do a rat type build.We can be on the ground floor of a new trend."New Iron Rat's".:D[;):cool:[P[cl

IMO adapters are safe, spacers are not safe. There is a problem with adapters on the front screwing with your steering geometry - but that also depends on your wheel backspacing/offset. I don't think I'd want to run either on a car I was going to push to the limits.

As for lowered trucks, rear bags are the way to go to keep them functional as trucks.

I plan to leave me engine/Trans 100% stock so my truck wont be pushing any limits. Other then 4x8 sheet's of plywood or some 2x4's, the only load my truck will ever see is my big ol fat butt in the drivers seat.:D:)[cl[;):cool:

1111.jpg

not my first choice of rims and a little too low for me -- but i like the concept theyre running with here.... i think he said the luv was a 79-81 body style....

merc90.jpg

heres a mercury i played with for a little while --- wish i would have gotten the nerve to chop the top - but i didnt.... still think it came out pretty cool :)

merc90.jpg

heres a mercury i played with for a little while --- wish i would have gotten the nerve to chop the top - but i didnt.... still think it came out pretty cool :)

Man that brings tears to my eyes. I had a 79 Merc that was All factory origanal without a scrach on it untill a lunk headed friend borrowed it and parked it under a tree during a storm.The limb that fell on it was so heavy, it cruched the windshield, dash board and broke the engine loose from the trans.Needless to say, I did not try to fix it.:(:(

check out this merc.
bamerc.jpg

-- my thought for the day """ plenty of folks say --- IT CANT BE DONE __ and theyre right - until you do it!"
pretty cool.

we havent lived there in some time bought a house on the outskirts of ingleside kinda headed toward gulfmarine i guess... where are you at?

Are you willing to weld on it?

I say change up the grill - something 60's with round quad headlights. Small mirrors. Lower it - a lot. Skirts? - probably need to change the wheel wells for that.

If you're a good at body work, change up the lower body lines and wheel wells for something more like the mid 60's cars. 66' Coronet is the best I can think of right now. But the old Galaxies, etc. all had that boxy look going on. Go for that kinda look. Flat black, scallops, anda nice set of caps on the rims.

OR, how about the newer trend of rusted/raw steel/industrial look like I've seen some of the Bimmers and tuners go for?

Are you willing to weld on it?

I say change up the grill - something 60's with round quad headlights. Small mirrors. Lower it - a lot. Skirts? - probably need to change the wheel wells for that.

If you're a good at body work, change up the lower body lines and wheel wells for something more like the mid 60's cars. 66' Coronet is the best I can think of right now. But the old Galaxies, etc. all had that boxy look going on. Go for that kinda look. Flat black, scallops, anda nice set of caps on the rims.

those are actually all very good ideas --

Latest posts

Back