The official T bucket truck project

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lookin real good Blacksheep! Very close in specs to my build. Im reading through the build again now. Its been a while since Ive been able to log on, so Ive got a lot of catchin up to do!

Well, it seems that sopmetimes when you can't get something figured out, you have to just take a break and look at it later with fresh eyes. I couldn't figure out why my 302 woul;dn't start, because I wired it just like I had read online. I went back this morning and found a wire had seperated from it's connection inside the splice. It was just a temporary splice, but was crimped, and came loose. Below I posted a sound bite of the engine starting. I hope I do this right. Man, I am pumped.\

Well, I got my fuel tank today. It's a 12 galon fuel tank out of a Wyllis Jeep. Gonna be perfect in the spot I'm putting it in. Gonna have to open her up to clean the inside. But, I got it cheap, and it looks good and straight. Been finishing up on some welding on the frame (gussets, and such), and will tidy up the body all this week. Getting very close.Photos tomorrow.

Ok, I'm getting real close to shooting my urethane primer on the frame and body. The frame will be satin black, but I need some ideas on the body. I'm wanting to paint the body brown/black. Brown on the main panels, with some black around door edges and in other areas , to give it a patina /leathery look. Kind of hard to explain, but I have it pictured in my mind. I have a couple of spots that I had to skim coat ,so it doesn't match the texture of the rest of the body if you know what I mean. I'm looking for a real dark brown/red oxide looking paint. Anyone have any experience or used a color this shade? Not the regular primer red oxide, but more brown than red.

Updated photos. I still need to figure out how to make the transistion at the top of the bucket at the rear. I was thinking maybe some 1" thinwall pipe bent then split and placed along the top of the rim. I still need to get this thing primed, but wanted to see what the body looked like . So, I had some old black rattle can primer. I don't want the body perfectly smooth, but just straight. I left alot of the dents in it as I thought it would give it some character.haha Gettin close.

T bucket build (1).JPG

T bucket build (2).JPG

T bucket build (3).JPG

T bucket build (4).JPG

Trim on the back of the bucket and my new shifter!!

I found some rounded angle iron that fit the bill very well to trim the back side of the bucket. I also made my shifter ,although it is not completed. My shifter arm on the tranny points down and frankly I wanted to leave it there becuase of room. So, I had to build a shifter that would utilize a double linkage. Either that or have my shifter all the way back in park (naaa). You can see the photos how it looks. I still need to heat and bend that round bar at a 90* straight down, then my linkage will hook up to it and go out the back of the bucket to another pivot (I haven't made yet.) I have about a thousand old take off clutch levers hanging in my shop , so I decided to put one to good use. The lever will be hooked up to a sleeved cable (old Harley clutch cable), then I will cut a section of pipe (6") about 1 1/2" wide and stand it up on its edge . Once I get my linkage hooked up I will mark where my spring loaded pin hits when in a different gear. Sounds complicated but it really isn't. A lot of work , but hell I didn't want to just go buy one. I will probably have about 20 hours into this thing by the time its done, but I made it and it will be hell for stout and not change gears while hitting bumps. I plan on putting an old white motorcycle grip on the end of the shifter arm.

IMG_0979.jpg

IMG_0981.jpg

IMG_0980.jpg

IMG_0982.jpg

Ok, I'm getting real close to shooting my urethane primer on the frame and body. The frame will be satin black, but I need some ideas on the body. I'm wanting to paint the body brown/black. Brown on the main panels, with some black around door edges and in other areas , to give it a patina /leathery look. Kind of hard to explain, but I have it pictured in my mind. I have a couple of spots that I had to skim coat ,so it doesn't match the texture of the rest of the body if you know what I mean. I'm looking for a real dark brown/red oxide looking paint. Anyone have any experience or used a color this shade? Not the regular primer red oxide, but more brown than red.

Lookin good!
They have a primer color called 'ruddy brown' primer.
might be what your looking for?

Man this thing is really coming together! [cl Love the shifter and the fact that you made it is even cooler. In fact I've been totally inspired by your resourcefulness throughout this whole build........yeah, I've been watching :D[P

You and I have come a long way since we started in January.... okay, so technically I "restarted" :eek::eek:

Loving your project, definitely not your run of the mill "bucket". Keep up the good work!

Thanks Snake Farm. I know I don't get many replies to my thread, but I also know that doesn't mean people aren't watching either. I have everything so scattered right now, it doesn't look it will be done until next year. BUT, the fact is that I am almost ready for my patina paint job and assembly. hehehe[ddd

, the fact is that I am almost ready for my patina paint job and assembly. hehehe[ddd

I don't know if you are set on a particular brand of paint but one way to get that brown/black color might be to use some of this...

225rustoleumprimerLarge.jpg

....it's browner than red oxide to begin with and you could mix in some satin black Rustoleum until you get the look you want ?? It comes in quarts too so it might be worth a shot :confused: I brushed it on my Willys but you can cut it with Acetone and shoot it too.

Later, [P

Good idea. I plan to shoot some gray urethane primer first, so any brown primer I may put on it won't absorb water and make the metal rust. I'll look into that.Thanks

I like that shifter,pretty slick..I've got an old Hurst quarter stick sittin on my desk at home that I'm planning on butchering into a shifter for my truck[;)

Tim

I like that shifter,pretty slick..I've got an old Hurst quarter stick sittin on my desk at home that I'm planning on butchering into a shifter for my truck[;)

Tim

A couple more photos of some progress this evening. I figured how I'm gonna hook the cable to the slide pin . I'll have more photos this weekend. Here's what I have so far.
If you look , you can see how I made my radius for the shifter keeper. I used a piece of angle and slice small pieces out of it. Then ,it was just a matter of making sure the radius was correct. I'll have completed photos this weekend.
IMG_0984.jpg

IMG_0985.jpg

IMG_0986.jpg

IMG_0987.jpg

Latest posts

Back