47 chevy chop first time

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustbucketracin

5 in chop on s10 frame. redoing rear with half leafs as trailarms and coilover. need to heat up front springs to lower the front.

135.jpg

136.jpg

137.jpg

138.jpg

139.jpg

Nice start. Have a weakness for the AD's so will follow this. Rather than heat the front coils you may wish to cut out about half a coil at a time till you get the drop your looking for. just my .02.

Chop

Like what your building, I noticed in your pics that the chop around the doors and windshield dont really line up. You might want to cut those areas loose and reweld it straight, its going to save you a crap load of grief if you do it now instead of trying install the glass only to find out it wont seal correctly. Just my 2 cents worth. Good first try though.

Curt

Buy shorter shocks. Any mini-truck mag will sell "short shocks" for lowered rigs. Or... go to the parts store and look through the books to find a shorter set (the books have the measurments in them). I have done this several times when I have cut a 1-2 coils on my projects. The best bet would be leave the springs alone and do drop spindles... if you are really adventurous you could "z" or step the front of the frame up.

Hope I muddied the waters a little for you...
Looks like a great project.

i did the same thing but my sits less than an inch from control arm to frame. My lower control arms were rusted out and it was so short i went everywhere for shocks and nobody made them that short so i cut a hole big enough for the shock through my lower control arms and welded up a new mount and now it rides fine and i'm using some pretty beefy shocks. It only goes like 2" past my control arms too.

its just ticked in pics. i have got it better now but did not take pics last weekend. and you are seeing were it steps i need the cut some small peice to fill it there. but thank you. i have only in of play without shocks. i got lowing crazy on coils. 1 in tell it hits on a-arms. it will be ok. its a RAT ROD not a hot rod.

its just ticked in pics. i have got it better now but did not take pics last weekend. and you are seeing were it steps i need the cut some small peice to fill it there. but thank you. i have only in of play without shocks. i got lowing crazy on coils. 1 in tell it hits on a-arms. it will be ok. its a RAT ROD not a hot rod.

posthigh.jpg

This is an interesting build... I like it, but is it only me that questions the road worthiness of it??? There are many things about this that shouldn't be out on the road...

This is an interesting build... I like it, but is it only me that questions the road worthiness of it??? There are many things about this that shouldn't be out on the road...

He has this posted on KB, and was blasted already for how he did the rear suspention. He did replace the trailing arms and added gussets to the rear frame. There seems to be a rash of unsafe builds going, I think its just guys trying to build thier ride in a hurry, and not thinking things thru. We can only hope this thing dose not fly apart at 60 mph and kill someone or him.

Curt

Latest posts

Back