1959 GMC Fleetside

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All that bad knee talk is making me hurt. I've been bound and determined not to have to replace mine. 30+ years of climbing poles on hooks takes it's toll on hips and knees. Getting down to work isn't bad. It's that getting up again stuff!
It's looking good dozer!

Thanks Smallfoot, yes I find getting up almost impossible.

It's the cabs turn for a little shop time. There is a Rat Rodder from Africa called Div his YouTube channel is Rat Rods 4 Africa great watch. He says the only way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time, well this cab is gonna take a lot of bites.
It took five hours to get the door, seat and fuel tank out lots of rusty stuck bolts. I then vacuumed and pressure washed it to get rid of as much mouse droppings as possible.
The pictures will show the terrible extent of the rust, I purchased cab corners, upper windshield repair panels and rocker/steep replacements.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Resize of 1959 GMC Fleetside #7 002.jpg
    Resize of 1959 GMC Fleetside #7 002.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Resize of 1959 GMC Fleetside #7 003.jpg
    Resize of 1959 GMC Fleetside #7 003.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Resize of 1959 GMC Fleetside #7 004.jpg
    Resize of 1959 GMC Fleetside #7 004.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Resize of 1959 GMC Fleetside #7 005.jpg
    Resize of 1959 GMC Fleetside #7 005.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Resize of 1959 GMC Fleetside #7 006.jpg
    Resize of 1959 GMC Fleetside #7 006.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Resize of 1959 GMC Fleetside #7 007.jpg
    Resize of 1959 GMC Fleetside #7 007.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Resize of 1959 GMC Fleetside #7 008.jpg
    Resize of 1959 GMC Fleetside #7 008.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 17
I love the gauge panel in these GMC's, so cool!

One bite at a time is right. My brother had a 39 Dodge, it had rot in the panel above the windshield inside because of mouse nests. Nasty spot to make a repair, but I have no doubt you'll do it well.

I love the gauge panel in these GMC's, so cool!

One bite at a time is right. My brother had a 39 Dodge, it had rot in the panel above the windshield inside because of mouse nests. Nasty spot to make a repair, but I have no doubt you'll do it well.

Thanks Collin, I agree on the instrument panel.

We have faith in you, Dozer. You'll do a good job,------- and it'll keep you out of trouble.
I'm going to be watching this.

Thanks MM

Lots of work, but the old girl is in good hands!!!

Thanks LB

Kinda looks like my bmw... in the rust holes at least... :rolleyes:
Don`t be afraid to cut out good panels to repair the bad ones. It often saves a lot of time and makes for better work. [;)

Fixing rust in cab roofs is tough work. It puts you into some strange positions to weld, then those darned sparks keep falling on top of you.

I'll be cheering you along from way over here. [cl

Kinda looks like my bmw... in the rust holes at least... :rolleyes:
Don`t be afraid to cut out good panels to repair the bad ones. It often saves a lot of time and makes for better work. [;)

I here ya Dutch, there is lots fo hidden rust.

Fixing rust in cab roofs is tough work. It puts you into some strange positions to weld, then those darned sparks keep falling on top of you.

I'll be cheering you along from way over here. [cl

So true I can here the sizzle of mig beads in my ears already.:D Thanks

I have faith that you can handle this with ease Dozer....

[cl[cl[cl

[P[P[P

Thanks FBP

Those sizzling sounds are more bothersome and the sparks are more painful now that I'm getting older then they ever were when I was a younger man.

Yikes!! That roof is about the most rotten I've seen - was it loaded with mouse nests? Mouse pee is a really corrosive, they love to get in everywhere...

Hey ZZ, the roof itself is ok, but the windshield flange gone. Yes it was was totally mouse infested. Every new cut is a new adventure in stink.

Well now, guess I wasn't expecting that! :eek:

Must be other planned things going on with that cab other then just rust repair.

Can't wait to see what comes next!
[P[P[P

Latest posts

Back