1949 Ford bobber build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its not even noon, but i'm done for the day.:) Time to go play. Nope. Guests coming for supper tomorrow. Vacuuming and dusting. I have to supervise and push the crew.;)

I tipped the door top and welded it. I took a lot of pictures because I realized I didn't document the process to good on the drivers door.

Pic#1 is the gap before I tip the door top. Really only the back does not line up and that is why I used just that funny short zigzag cut.

Pic#2 is the cut I made. 1/16th of an inch blade. thats all the movement it takes to close the top of the door.

Pic#3 is how it lined up with the first tip, no welding or metal working done.

Pic#4 is the cut tac'd and the spot welds for the rear window track drilled out so it can be adjusted.

Pic#5 is the cut welded prior to grinding. I weld the horizontal cuts first to get the most out of the shrinkage before welding the vertical cuts.

Pic#6 Is how it looks after welding and some metal shaping on the top door flange. The drip rails will need a slight amount of work to get waves worked out.

The next step before I final weld the door frame will be to gap the door. I might look for some really thin blades to split the door flange. Then spread it and line it back up. The amount of build I need is only about 1/16 of an inch. I think it might be easier to move the flange than build it up that small amount. More thinking.[S

Attachments

• IMG_1518.jpg
    IMG_1518.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1520.jpg
    IMG_1520.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1528.jpg
    IMG_1528.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1536.jpg
    IMG_1536.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1539.jpg
    IMG_1539.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1541.jpg
    IMG_1541.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 58
Looks great gold. You really put a lot of thought into your chop. Not like me:p
Sounds like we are both on the same duty. I am busy around the house while my wife drives back from Vegas withour oldest daughter.
Torchie.

Torchie, I would hate to see how mine would look if I didn't have you and Mike to learn from. These truck are tuff to chop, and I have had a couple of great teachers. It's easier for me to follow on this that's for sure.

Don't forget I still have to make the glass go up and down[S. Alberta is no place for no glass. This is what it looks like now, but soon it will be the frozen hinterlands.

By the way, that's the gold03;)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 40
behind door number 2!

I finished off the passenger door today. Needed a little gap repair again. One welding rod thickness. I need a break from grinding!

To bad I tore up my arm. It put me behind. I can't even spray primer in this cold!:(

I need to put he rear cab brace back in and do a little clean up where my girder system was welded in on the inside.

I'm going to use POR15 on inside of the welded joints of the chop. It is a resin based paint and will fill pin holes. I don't have any I can see, but I don't see to well either!

I will rub everything down with metal ready and wait for spring to get in into primer. Body work will have to wait till then.

I need to paint my rims and get tires and wheels mounted. get it off the frame table!! and rolling. Maybe soon.

Attachments

• IMG_1549.jpg
    IMG_1549.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1553.jpg
    IMG_1553.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1560.jpg
    IMG_1560.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1552.jpg
    IMG_1552.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 44
I'll say it again gold. Your chop turned out looking great. I hear you on the weather. Had to turn the heat on in the house :(
can't wait to see it on wheels.
Torchie.

I'm slacking off. Taking some vacation time with my wife. Spent a couple nights here. We have moved on, but damn this was nice!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 64
Hey don't get me wrong, we rented it for a couple nights. But I spent hours looking it over pretty close. I might have to resurrect a chainsaw mill I built and build a gazebo or something!

Hey don't get me wrong, we rented it for a couple nights. But I spent hours looking it over pretty close. I might have to resurrect a chainsaw mill I built and build a gazebo or something!

I understood that It was a rental.
Turned out that the one I built myself was a rental too. LOL

Latest posts

Back