1st build, 1933 olds rat

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice work! It'll also ride pretty nicely. I think the frontend of the car would flow a lot better if you lower/chop the grill to be on the same line with the cowl.

i just have the grill shell on there to look at the whole package. if i remember correctly, ill have to section the shell 5".

thank you for the comments guys. it does keep one going to the next stage.

ive been playing with the body for quite some time to get the door gaps right. i have told myself to stop on the body till i replace the door hinge bushings, im tired of guessing where the door will be with the bushings. so i hope that i can get to the welding place so i can get some oxygen for the torches.

Last edited:
i removed my stock steering colum and manual steering box from the old frame. i just cant for the life of me get the steering shaft out of the gear box. what makes it hard is the shaft is hollow with a spline at the bottom.

well i got the drivers door fitted for good, also got new bushing and pins installed. i still have to put new iron in the door but the skin is lined up with great gaps all around. i also got most of the driver side floor tubing installed, which is holding the door iron in place.

i also drilled the passenger door today so i could put in the new door pin bushings. ill fit the passenger door tomorrow.

ill get some tomorrow skull

i also scored a 2 week old 66 mustang radiator for 50 bones today. i hope it will cool my rat, if not ill save it for the truck.

i got pictures ,lol.

well i managed to get that passenger door fitted now, took me most of the day but it looks good. i also got the lower cowl support in to tie the 2 sides together.

its coming along now.

floor008.jpg

floor009.jpg

floor010.jpg

floor012.jpg

i also got the floor framing in on the passenger side as well.

look at that massive drive shaft, i hope it can handle some power, it wasnt cheap.

floor007.jpg

floor011.jpg

i was also able to get some material today. i got 2 sticks of 1"x1"x1/8" tubing, 1"x2"x1/8" tubing and a 4'x4' 18ga sheet of metal. i measured a couple of times and started to cut and form the driver side floor.

heres how i bent the 18ga metal. i used a couple of pieces i had of 1/2"x 6" for a clamp then started to beat with the hammer to slowly toake to where i wanted it.

floor005.jpg

floor002.jpg

floor001.jpg

floor006.jpg

here it is installed. my plans for tomorrow is to get the passenger side installed as well. im not going to put them down till im done with everything that i have to do on the frame.

floor013.jpg

floor014.jpg

i have the passenger side cut but didnt bend it yet.

that was all of the 4x4 sheet that i bought. they didnt have any more so it a waiting game now.

well i got more done yesterday and today. i bent the other floor board and clamped it in.

i also went to the local bone yard to look for some low back seats. not to much to choise from in newer cars. but i did find a 2009 dodge caliber with 46k on it and i liked the seats. i got them for $50, bought a $15 set of cheap seat covers so i dont get them dirty. i removed the head rest and think im going to cut the backs down about 4-6". the cool thing is all 4 mounting points are the same hight and work great on flat floors.

flo002.jpg

flo003.jpg

flo004.jpg

i had to order a shift fork yesterday because the one that came with the tranny wasnt right. i got it today and started to make up the clutch rod pivot point, installed the clutch and brake pedals to test out for comfort. plus i add a set of high dollar return springs to get the feel of the pedals till there hooked up to something. lol.

i had a piece of chrome moly tube sitting around for years and found it again. i went to the hardware store and bought a 1/2" flange head bolt and lock nut. i welded the bolt to the moly tube. slipped it over the tranny ball, slid on the 1/2" hiems and made a bracket to bolt the hiems to. the only reason there are washers on the nut side of the hiems is so i dont have to tighten it down past the lock nut.

flo006.jpg

flo007.jpg

flo008.jpg

well i traded the 396 for a 455 olds with 400 tranny.

ive also got most of the floor fabbed up. but i might have to start over with the trannt tunnel. we will see come saturday when we do the swap.

well out with the old and in with the new. the tranny is out of a 72 pontiac grand safari station wagon th400. the motor is out of a 71 olds toranado 455.
i got the front of the motor lined up and centered. i have to wait till morning to get a tranny mount and starter from advanced. i changed the valve and oil pan gaskets and pressured washed them before i put them in.

one thing i would like a little help with is the motor mounts. i can see where they had a mount coming off of the timing chain cover. i really dont know if the 2 front side holes would support the weight, im worried about the bolts shearing because there really isnt anything higher for it to fit.

does anybody have any sugestions? what have the 455 olds guys done in the past?

oldsmot002-1.jpg

oldsmot003.jpg

oldsmot004.jpg

oldsmot006.jpg

Latest posts

Back