27 chevy p/u

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More people give up on early Chevy projects than any other kind. All that wood! Don't you be one of them. That cab has nice lines and your project has a lot of potential. Take lots of pics.

hell
the cabs almost done as far as the skeleton etc.

the guy that is building /showing me how to do this one.
now wants to make one for himself.
not a chevy though.
too much work!!!!

i love the lil popcorn guy.....[P

The popcorn guy is my close, personal friend. ;)

Lookin' great so far, Billy. The chop height looks good on my monitor, too. Not too radical, just about right.

A question, if I could: Are you fellas using flux-core (gasless) wire? If so, what thickness are you using and how do you find it for burn-through? Thanks for any input you can offer.

Regards,
Shea:)

The popcorn guy is my close, personal friend. ;)

Lookin' great so far, Billy. The chop height looks good on my monitor, too. Not too radical, just about right.

A question, if I could: Are you fellas using flux-core (gasless) wire? If so, what thickness are you using and how do you find it for burn-through? Thanks for any input you can offer.

Regards,
Shea:)

I am sorry but i dont know the answer to that question.
i am no welder.
J.P. is doing all that stuff.

i have a confession to make.

i dont really like working on cars all that much
so when i start one of my projects i tend to try and get it done and done well as soon as possible.
i am probably the only guy on this forum that doesnt like tinkering but thats the way it is.
i am much more interested in driving my vehicles than working on them.
get it done.
and DRIVE IT!

i have a confession to make.

i dont really like working on cars all that much
so when i start one of my projects i tend to try and get it done and done well as soon as possible.
i am probably the only guy on this forum that doesnt like tinkering but thats the way it is.
i am much more interested in driving my vehicles than working on them.
get it done.
and DRIVE IT!

we forgive you......:D

i have enjoyed some of my first build--but i LOVE driving it
my second ratrod build is alot more fun (and going quicker) and i can't wait to get to drive it

project is lookin good billy--and i like that popcorn fella too!:D[P

in some ways this is easier than the willys restoration.
i am not having to scour the web /junkyards/farms for obscure parts.
and since the build is from scratch we can use anything we want.
not to mention the fact that we can install brakes, steering, wiring etc. with the body off the frame.

and the biggest thing.

I HAVE A HEATED WELL EQUIPPED GARAGE TO WORK IN![cl

we forgive you......:D

i have enjoyed some of my first build--but i LOVE driving it
my second ratrod build is alot more fun (and going quicker) and i can't wait to get to drive it

project is lookin good billy--and i like that popcorn fella too!:D[P

i love driving my 63 kaiser/willys.
the restore was a huge PITA
but i gotta tell ya.
that thing is second to none in a blizzard!

Billy, We're all different in terms of what aspects of hot rodding appeal the most. I hear many comments about "drive the wheels off" of their hot rods. I think that's great!
However, I am at the opposite end, building is what I love the most. That's why there's seven of 'em in the back garage that hardly ever see the light of day.

I guess my bumper sticker would say, "I'd Rather Be Building".:D

Your build is very pleasing to see. Starting with a cab that lots of people would throw away and working with your guide, turning it into a living, running machine is inspirational. Keep up the good work.[cl

Last edited:
in some ways this is easier than the willys restoration.
i am not having to scour the web /junkyards/farms for obscure parts.
and since the build is from scratch we can use anything we want.
not to mention the fact that we can install brakes, steering, wiring etc. with the body off the frame.

and the biggest thing.

I HAVE A HEATED WELL EQUIPPED GARAGE TO WORK IN![cl

Heat is nice, 'specially for those of us who know what "snow" is...

Heck, half the fun of building an old car is the hunt through those countless backwoods boneyards and the 'net and swapmeets for that "missing link." When you finally find it, you feel a little bit like a castaway on a desert island who just dug up pirate treasure while looking for coconuts.:D

That being said, I can understand the urge to just get it done and drive it. I, too, would like to be there, but SHORT funds and lack of time/understanding spouse (that's a BIGGIE! :() cause more than their fair share of delays. It's hard to keep motivation up when you're never allowed to spend time or funds on your "toy" cause you have to stay in and watch your kids while your wife's off playing baseball...or scrapbooking...or stamping...or yelling at the kids so loud you can hear her in the garage...:mad:

Anyway, rant off. Your little truck's looking good, keep plugging away and learning from your new friend and you'll be driving in no time!

Regards,
Shea[P

hunting through those countless backwoods boneyards is a big PITA to me.
theres not many junkyards here and the closest good ones are a long drive.
after the first time i spent a full day driving round trip to a boneyard only to get skunked.
i decided it sucked.;)
i just want the parts in hand so i can put it together.
now going online and picking out something that doesnt cost a weeks pay to ship?(like a steering wheel)
that's fun.[cl

dodge axle

now i just gotta find one.
here is a question.
what other axles are usable?
from ANY car or truck.

I used an axle from a 64 Dodge pickup, could have narrowed it. Also used the steering box and column, worked out good. Then I had a friend with a plasma cutter make coil spring mounts and got some Kal springs at a swap meet. He also made a pair of (batwings) and I mounted 4bar links. To keep side to side movement to a minumum I used an old steering drag link from a chevy truck.
Sorry my picture wouldn't upload

Last edited:
Hey Billy I just finished looking and reading your build thread and it is looking awesome. I wish I knew someone like your buddy, Im having a hard time on my 34 chevy build (since its my first build ever) I feel the same way you do I just want it done so I can drive it and burn off some tires. Can you ask your bud what size flux core wire he is useing. Thanks and looking forward to see more.

zsmithwesson27-2156-1.jpg

zsmithwesson27-2155-1.jpg

zsmithwesson27-2154-1.jpg

Hey Billy I just finished looking and reading your build thread and it is looking awesome. I wish I knew someone like your buddy, Im having a hard time on my 34 chevy build (since its my first build ever) I feel the same way you do I just want it done so I can drive it and burn off some tires. Can you ask your bud what size flux core wire he is useing. Thanks and looking forward to see more.

j.p.'s response

campbell/hausfield 110 .030 flux core wire. i use #2 setting and stitch weld
at 1 second shots up and down the seam in various spacings to keep from
warpage. you really do not have to run continous seam on non or semi
structural joins. my stitch welds end up about 1/2" apart. the campbell mini
mig works very well for me and can weld to 5/16" metal. i'm building bills
truck using 20 gauge.

Latest posts

Back