4x4 rods

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4x4

I had a friend several yrs ago ask me to build a Camaro 4x4.I told him "no way man, I hate cars on truck frames"
But that is not what he had in mind.
I ended up tying the frame together and making coil spring pockets front and rear.Then I welded up the brackets on the 1/2 ton chevy pick up axles and mounted them under the Camaro with a 4-link suspension.T-case fit up close to the floor where the Camaro's cat. use to reside and it almost looked factory.He mounted some 35" M/T baja tires on wide rims and it had a good stance to it.I made a rear bumper that had the same curve as the rear of the car. The whole car looked pretty good with not seeing a "truck frame"up under it.
I will see if I have any pics and post them.
Still don't like the idea though.

i helped build a elcamino 4x4 onced ,had a lot of fun and learned a lot from the experiance too!
Afreind of mine had an 65 chevy station wagon 4x4 too ,it was real cool ,wish i had some pics to show!

the lone ranger rod:p

Attachments

• P6150004.jpg
    P6150004.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 75
  • P6150005.jpg
    P6150005.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 61
  • P6150010.jpg
    P6150010.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 57
  • PC180129.jpg
    PC180129.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 49
I had a '75 Caddy hearse at one time. I measured up the wheelbase and found that it would line up perfectly on a '80s Suburban frame. I seriously contemplated making it happen. I wanted to make an adventure type vehicle for camping, not a show truck(car?). I planned on minimal lift, just enough to run 35" tires. Roofrack, front and rear winches, big Hella or IPF driving lights, onboard air, snorkel. 500ci Caddy motor would have been great for torque too.

Well, that ship has sailed. Thank god. Wish I still had that 500 Caddy though.

Hodag

Maybe it's just the red neck in me but i dig the hell out of this one. I've always wanted to do a Fox body Mustang convertible into a 4x4.

4wheelstang2.jpg

a few nice ones

Attachments

• wmr044small.jpg
    wmr044small.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 30
  • cmed.jpg
    cmed.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 29
  • chopped wagon.jpg
    chopped wagon.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 28
thought about it..

A few years ago, I "almost" thought about pulling my 48 Plymouth body off the rails to sit it on a full time 4x4 Jeep Wagoneer chassis. My waggy's body was rusted away, but the old frame, 360 and QuadraTrac was still strong. Not sure how it would have worked, but I got close enough to pull out a tape measure on them, lol..

Saw this one in Vegas a few years back.

Lately I've been thinking about building a rock crawler out of one of the two '28 Essex sedan bodies I have. It's just a shell with one door, no fenders, no title etc. I could easily make some tube fenders, running boards, shorten it up to an extended cab, build a short box and make some 'glass doors. I also have a '02 Dakota 4x4 chassis that I really don't have much use for.

Sumthin' like this but with some 37" or so Pit Bull Rockers under it.

attachment.php

So many projects, so little time. [;)

Latest posts

Back