All work has been professionally done

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GJunktionMike

Something's wrong with that boy!
Looking at some rods for sale on D-Bay, I kept reading “all work has been professionally done” in a lot of the ads, so here I am thinking again. What make something professionally done? I know a couple dozen guys that work in the auto body field. A couple of these guys have their own shops and walls full of awards. Some of the others work for these guys and others work for the production shops (a little higher end then the macco shops) that do the daily driver and a customs every now and then. So one would assume that any of these guys would be “professional”? Only a couple are metal forming masters, another hand full are real good, and about ½ the crowd is bondo gods. There is not a slouch in the crowd and after paint they ALL look good. Now I’m not self promoting my self just using this for an example, but 50% of these guys will tell you they can’t match my tin work (the bondo guys) 40% tell me to stay in the garage they don’t like competition, and 10% ask why I wasted 20 years in drywall. So if you have the professional saying you do top notch work wouldn’t that make you a professional? Now I know I’m not a professional or make the claim to be, but knowing what I do about the auto body field I just had to through in my $.02 on the topic of “All work has been professionally done” :rolleyes:

So I guess if a professional wrestler built his first car, he could claim it was built by a professional. I am a certified ASE tech, does that make my car a professional build?
Mike, I would say you are without any deception or word trickery.

Technically speaking, a "professional" is someone who is paid for their work. If you are paid to play the piano you are a professional musician, welder being paid to weld, professional welder, etc.

I've made my living in carpentry for the last 36 years so I guess at least the bed on my Willys was professionally built..........however I only spent about three hours on it though so it's not exactly "cabinet grade" work. :eek:

professional built would mean it was a bonafide professional did the work. [ddd
professionally build could mean it was built kinda like a professional had built it [P

Professional in the loose street interp can be understood as a guy who gets paid regularly to do something

A Legal interpretation of professional is someone skilled in their trade well enough that they have gone into private practice of their trade or in other words are self employed and employ others.
Are licensed to practice.
Have received an accredited degree in their field.
When employed they usually are not paid by the hour but instead paid salary for their abilities or per contract.
Someone who works in a shop for someone else without an accredited degree, a license or works under someone else's license is employed in a skilled trade but is not by legal definition a professional.

Kinda like with educated. You can read a bunch books and get self smarted (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj3SIXtLaAY)
...but unless you graduate from a school with accredited documentation you're not formally educated.

Well, I am not a famous California hot rod builder, but I have been known to play one on ebay.:p

My take on a car that is professionally done is one that the guy paid someone in the business to do for him. But we have all seen some really bad workmanship coming out of "professional shops." There is a tudor being rebuilt by a shop on another forum. The owner paid a "professional shop" to build it for him, and they shoud be arrested for fraud and endangerment. :eek: The car wouldn't even go down the road at more than 20 mph.

I have seen some really excellent work done by average Joes, working out of their home garages. Those are the "pros" that I think do the best work.

Don

A professional should be able to (and im not a professional so i might get this wrong) list details like spotwelds at the pinchwelds, hammer welded the new panels in after seamless fusion welding, prepped the steel with ospho prior to etch priming, should know that fiberglass and bondo is formulated to get applied to bare metal while spot putty and filler primer is not.
Know the alloy of the metals he worked with
Know the difference between tube and pipe
know what AN or jit fitting stands for
know a 9/16 wrench is not what you use on a 9/16 bolt
know the difference between a wood screw and a sheetmetal screw and a stove bolt.
He should know a few hundred of the millions of technical details a professional would know right?
So why is the only thing he can say is "it's built all professional and such"
So you ask well what things did you do to it
"Awww just made it right you know...there's only one way to do things right and that's it right there"

It's like the kind of response you get asking a hobo for a stock tip [cl

Then on the other hand there's the jackballs who think everything that isn't 100% factory stock is screwed up. They'll ask you what sort of mods you made and when your describing them in technical detail they give you the high hat. you'll say something like "well this rear axle is from a newer truck so the driveline angles had to be checked and the spring pads had to be relocated" and he'll say something arrogant like do you think you should have ruined it like that"
And you say what do you mean ruined it? the quality of the work meets or exceeds manufacturer's, the choice of materials meets or exceeds the manufacturer's. Those are quality welds they don't just look good. If your work and engineering exceeds industry standards how is it ruined?

"Well it didn't come from the factory that way and you can't tell me teams of engineers aren’t smarter than you"

I'm talking about the goons that come looking at your car and are looking for a fight because you switched the drum brakes out for discs on a turd any collector would laugh at. or swapped the rear axle to get a posi and a tougher axle... or a motor swap...I'm like "listen dude, and I mean this in the original way DUDE became a word meaning rude-dud... If you don't want it... you can leave. I don't care what you think other than yes...or goodbye". I hate dudes passing judgment when they don't even know wtf they are talking about or the right words to talk about it.

Especially when they sound like they just read a book on how to shop for the perfect used car or something like that like they have Martha Stewart on hold with car advice

My position is
If you can't talk about it I'm pretty sure you can't build it
And if you can't build it I'm pretty sure you ain't gonna be able to talk about it

Like that perfect scene at the poker table in the 40 year old virgin when Steve Carrol opens his mouth and everyone figgures him out. :D

If you talk to anyone that has built anything they will tell you they are a professional since they finished the job and what ever they built didn't blow up.

Quote WB3, So I guess if a professional wrestler built his first car, he could claim it was built by a professional.[cl[cl
Now that’s funny, but it seams to have some truth to it.

Don hit the topic a little better with the tudor rebuild.

I just find to amusing how “professionally done” gets thrown out there like it’s going to add a couple more grand to the selling price. I’m certified to weld on the stuff I weld on, and I have also farmed out work from some of the shops for some extra cash. I wouldn’t lay the claim to “professionally done” I guess my salesman skills are not very good and I have a hard time buying into this sales pitch.

But if I was a sales man my pitch would go like this:

Get today’s new thing now, it makes yesterday’s new thing look like the day before’s new thing. And don’t forget to preorder tomorrow’s new thing, because you don’t want your friends to have the new thing before you have the new thing. :rolleyes:

It's just like 'Rare', 'ran when parked', or or all the other BS. My personal favorite is when they tell you in the ad what they 'think' is wrong and how easy and cheap it will be to fix. The best is when they say how much more the car will be worth after it's fixed - 'will be worth $1,500 more!' (after replacing that $50 dollar part [S) what a bargain! :rolleyes:

A real professional if asked will always refer to "science-n-stuff" , "what not" and always end a statement with "and such"

T-Man it is funny that you drug this thread back up. I have had an ad on CL for a couple months for small welding and repair jobs, not getting rich but I make a few extra bucks. Had a call today for a guy, he told me I had done some work for a buddy of his and he recommended me. He said I do “professional work” [S

Well???

Did you dazzle him with Science techno and what not??? Or did you simply tell him you do welding and such??? [P

It's just like 'Rare', 'ran when parked', or or all the other BS. My personal favorite is when they tell you in the ad what they 'think' is wrong and how easy and cheap it will be to fix. The best is when they say how much more the car will be worth after it's fixed - 'will be worth $1,500 more!' (after replacing that $50 dollar part [S) what a bargain! :rolleyes:

Lol also my favorite I always think if its gonna be worth so much more when fixed and its a cheap fix then why didn't they do it its always a sign of get ready for a bunch of time and money

Latest posts

Back