body work weldeing

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoomerLV

What kind of welders do you do bodywork with?

and do you do frame work with the same welder?

I am going to have to do some body/ frame patching on a 67 lincoln -- the cab is also the frame! kind of strange--

I dont own a welder but do want to pick one up-- what do i need -- what can i get by with?

thanks!

Last edited:
just found a hobart 140 -- it is not 220 but says it has the ability to weld 1/4-- A frame isnt 1/4" --

the guy is asking 450 w/ gas -350 w/o

i was going to try to offer him 375-400 for it.

but i am a little worried what i will find once I cut away some of the rot of this car with a grinder..

like always thanks for your help guys!

I have a Hobart 140. It's great for gauge material and bodywork.

It will not weld 1/4'' material, it can do 3/16'' OK, but really 1/8'' is the maximum for proper penetration.

I wouldn't even begin to attempt frame repairs with this little girl welder, unless you can bevel the joint, and that's questionable.

You need a 220 machine and at least 180 amps for chassis work.

while i agree on being safe when welding on a chassis, the unibody style construction that those cars have is simply heavy gauge sheetmetal and would be "weldable" with the unit you mentioned...

i have a miller version of the same welder and it is the only welder in my shop...(but i do body work/patch panels, quarter skins etc.- i don't build hotrod frames)

if you were about to put together a box frame of 2x3 or 2x4 rectangle tubing for a build i would probably recommend a bigger welding machine...

more important to me than the size of the machine is the ability to use it well before starting to make structural repairs...not being rude :eek:

dont overlook the duty cycle

Welding different metal thicknesses can be achieved by verying the technique somewhat, i have welded plenty of 1/4" steel with a 110 welder dith good penetration, the problem you may run into is that most of these smaller welders have a low duty cycle, duty cycle (as i understand it) means the amount of time you can weld before the power begins to degradate, I read somwhere that the duty cycle given in percent equates to the number of minutes you can weld uninterupted during a 10 minute cycle, example 20% duty cycle = weld 2 minutes straight, rest 8minutes. We have a millermatic 250, 220volt welder with a 60% duty cycle and you can tell when you have surpassed the duty cycle as you will slowly lower power. Hope this helps,and as always if I have misunderstood this sublject, please feel free to correct me.

A guy new to welding should not attempt to weld frame or 'critical' welds with a 110v unit. It can be done right, but not by someone that doesn't know exactly what they are doing. Keep in mind, it is about safety and not having your critical weld break causing you or others to be killed.

Go ahead and get the Hobart. Good price. I wouldn't suggest you try frame welding yet anyhow until you get some experience. If you need frame welded, borrow a friend that can weld. Check my Olds build - I hired a guy to weld my fab'd frame for 250$ - well worth it to me.

As for your new Lincoln - I love those cars. The unibody thing can be a big can-o-worms. You need to be prepared for some major surgery.

I have a Miller 172- 220V wire feed and a miller Tig,, and they will weld just about anything you need to weld on a Hot Rod,,
I've had these for probably 7-8 years and never any problems,
I bought these new,, but welding supply shops do take in used welders , so you could possably find a good used one
don't know much about Hobart, but seem to be a top brand welder

I would say a 220 V welder is a must for fabricating,,

Attachments

• DSCN0288.jpg
    DSCN0288.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCN0289.jpg
    DSCN0289.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 29
Let me ask a question here.

If it takes, let say 100 amps to weld 2 pcs of 1/8" plate together and get good penetration. Does it matter if the other end is plugged into a 110 outlet or 220 outlet, if both machine will produce 100 amps at the weld. [S

If it takes, let say 100 amps to weld 2 pcs of 1/8" plate together and get good penetration. Does it matter if the other end is plugged into a 110 outlet or 220 outlet, if both machine will produce 100 amps at the weld. [S

only on duty cycle

Keep the money you are going to spend on this welder and hire a pro to do the work for you, it'll be done right the first time ,and be safer for all involved.
I do this work daily for 26 years now and nothing makes me cringe anymore then someone thinking they can tackle a job like this. Just because you own a welder and can run what looks like a good bead doesn't mean it's either safe or strong. Good penatration isn't the only thing you have to worry about when welding,undercutting is just as important.
Maybe you can find someone near you to do the job and show you a few tips?
Brian

well thanks for the brutal honesty! -- i dont disagree with you I am nose deep in water!

I know I need to get in some time with the welder before I begin any frame repairs.. I plan to play with the welder for a while and learn to put down a decent weld before I begin on the car..

Im just trying to learn and teaching myself as I go with a little help here and there. I have had a few bad experiences with auto repair shops.. so ill just do it myself!

And I do plan to to build a box frame, s10 front end, and a few other random parts i have found so far.. once i get some practice .... i guess the steps are going to be.. on random metal... then the 67 lincoln.. and then I think ill be on the right track.

I just dont want to buy a welder and find out it was nowhere near what i need.-- need meeing a guy that will build a project here and there, not a fab shop using the welder 4 hours a day

boomer, don't let these comments get you down, we just don't want anyone getting hurt due to bad welds-including yourself...get the welder you won't be disappointed in what it can do, and check around the local vo-techs, or trade schools to see if any offer a class on welding-you might learn something...seriously, i went to vo-tech to learn autobody work 20 yrs ago and it was worth every minute!

if that isn't an option, find someone who is an experienced welder to help show you the ropes...and i am glad you understand that welding takes practice before tackling a serious structural repair...

good luck and hope you enjoy the welder...:cool:

only on duty cycle

Something else I found on the subject in another thread:

"115 machines were not meant to weld thick material as they cannot draw enough amperage to do so.

When a machine is rated for 1/4 inch it does not mean that you will get 1/4 inch penetration. It simply means that the maximum amperage of the machine wil allow you to weld on 1/4" material.

Beveling and welding thicker material will not allow the 115 machine to weld more than 1/4 inch as the current density is just not high enough.
" - Goose-'em

but like it was said above the car he wants to work on probably won't have anything thicker than 1/8" as it is a U body car. And yes, you should learn to weld well and correctly before you attempt and critical parts, but everyone here started from the same place you are now. I don't think any body here picked up a welder and shazam! they were a pro 2 seconds later. get the welder, practice, hire a guy to come and give you lessons, or take a class at the local votec. The 110V will do most of everything you want to do on that car. if it is to thick, have a mobile pro come over and knock it out. my $.02

Some good advise here....It wouldn't be my first choice but the welder is capable of the job, and Im thinking maybe you aren't. You can weld the 1/4" if necessary and experienced enough. The weld can be stacked to get enough material. I've done this for a living for many years....so remember! SAFETY FIRST! at all times. See if you can find a friend or neighbor that welds....

Practice, Practice, Practice...

learn to weld before you get over your head... not slamming you, just fact.... if you know someone who can show you the basics.... do it... then practice.. it ain't rocket science but it can be dangerous... due to poor welds and lack of patience.... I did a ton of oxy acetalene welding years back but learning to weld with the mig was totally new for me and I got some help from someone I knew could weld and was familiar with the mig welders..... it still frustrates the snot out of me to do any bogger welds and I'm getting better but i still practice on different gage or thickness metals just to improve my welds....my opinion.... until you are proficent / confident in your welds.... let someone do it for now and you can practice pratice practice.....JMHO....

Latest posts

Back