dodge truck chop

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this one came back in to have the frame shortened. i am personally not a huge fan of the super stretched out chassis look, and the owner wanted it to steer and drive better. so i am taking out 15 inches of the chassis. which makes is 134 inches long, still a little long to me, but much better. and not as much work as making it shorter.

front of the old chassis cut off

DSCN5516.jpg

had to cut the floor our to slide the engine and trans back 5.5 inches

DSCN5518.jpg

tapering the front rails

DSCN5519.jpg

DSCN5521.jpg

DSCN5522.jpg

internal gussets, will leave a 1/16 inch gap to burn in deep, plus be plug welded

DSCN5522.jpg

DSCN5524.jpg

new rails tacked in place

DSCN5525.jpg

motor mounts tacked in

DSCN5526.jpg

I had to restrain myself about mentioning that It looked too long. I try not to be negative. I really like it now! Great workmanship!

some more progress from today

worked on getting the grill shell fit up

DSCN5538.jpg

DSCN5539.jpg

DSCN5540.jpg

DSCN5541.jpg

got the steering mocked back up, at a much better angle, the old set up ran the drag link at a 45* angle

vega box

DSCN5545.jpg

DSCN5542.jpg

DSCN5543.jpg

the steering off the pitman arm hangs low, heated and bent the pitman arm to get it level, just forgot to snap a pic of it afterward

DSCN5544.jpg

started getting the headlights back on as well. used an early ford head light bar, cut it down to used the forged ends. heated and bent them into shape

DSCN5546.jpg

DSCN5547.jpg

DSCN5549.jpg

DSCN5550.jpg

DSCN5551.jpg

got everything all mocked up, ready to blow it back apart to weld everyhting solid

DSCN5555.jpg

DSCN5556.jpg

DSCN5554.jpg

DSCN5552.jpg

and here is a pic of the pitman arm after i heated and bent it to get the steering lined up

the steering looks low to the ground in the pic, but it is an optical illusion

DSCN5553.jpg

You have done an amazing job to make that truck look way better than the original build!
Is it lower than the bottom of the axle?
Was just curious, as maybe a straighter steering arm would let you move up the box, and not be below axle level?

no the steering does not hang below the axle, it is just a super weird angle. if you look at the front shot you can see that it does not hang very low. the problem is this not an ideal set up with parts that are on this truck ( owner wanted to re uses all the hard parts ) i cant raise the box because it will hit the bottom of the radiator or the fan.

got the truck all finished up on friday morning and put about 60 test miles on it. everything is great. here are some pics of the finished product

DSCN5605.jpg

DSCN5606.jpg

DSCN5607.jpg

here is the tunnel in progress, welded and seam seam sealed and some in between

DSCN5600.jpg

DSCN5601.jpg

DSCN5602.jpg

DSCN5603.jpg

DSCN5604.jpg

DSCN5608.jpg

DSCN5609.jpg

Latest posts