Endless BS thread

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure where to put this, but - welcome to Iraq.

IED_Iraq_road.gif

I was a drill instructor in the Army....Fort Polk, LA

Had a trainee in the hand gernade bunker.....you know the ones with the cement block wall and steel grate under your feet.... had a trainee that was shaking like a leaf, went thru the procedure just like he was taught....pull pin, rock back and throw.... he pulled the pin and froze..... now I've got a live gernade in his hand and he dropped the pin down the grate.....I can't get him to let go of the gernade.... I'm talking to him trying to get him to let go while I was holding onto his hands so the lever didn't pop out.... unfortuneately he let it go by throwing it down and running...luckily it fell into the grate and we both only got a bit of schapnel and dirt falling onto us as we moved away and hit the ground..... If I hadn't tackled him he would still be running.....afterward I asked him what the heck he was thinking and he said "I don't know Drill Sergeant!" :eek: Thank God they dig those pits deep....

its a pucker factor of about an 11

Sarge, I always wondered what would happen if you dropped one of those during training.

On a scale of 1- 10....... Had a trainee fire his 3 rounds for zero down the firing line at the drill instructors too.... thankfully the kid didn't get more than the 3 rounds for the 16 or we'd have been in trouble....didn't hit anything but one of the paddles the drill instructor was holding up..... me, I was on in the dirt...... I think it was safer in country than pushing troups....at least sometimes....or....maybe not.....

hey sarge, how many years were you at fort polk? my dad went thru basic there, but i'm bettin' it was before you were there... and no, he had no problem lettin go of a live grenade...lol

Actually was there twice......

hey sarge, how many years were you at fort polk? my dad went thru basic there, but i'm bettin' it was before you were there... and no, he had no problem lettin go of a live grenade...lol

Right out of High school..1969 for Basic and AIT....MOS was an 11bravo (bush beater infantry) got shipped out first of 70...came back 13 months later and was sent thru DI academy....spend nearly a year at Polk's south fort then got transfered to Fort Knox to push troops there and was there until my discharge in late 1972....stayed active Reserve (drills each month and 2 weeks pushing troops in the summer 70th training division) till I bailed out in 77..... Never regretted the tour.....regretted the loss of too many young guys who never got the chance to experience life....:( As much as things change, they stay the same...if it wasn't wwII it was korea, if it wasn't korea it was nam, if it isn't nam it's iraq now afganistan....why can't we all just get along??? that my friend is another topic of discussion to which, I will not begin as it boils down to politics and greed which I have no use for....

well sarge, i was right, dad went thru before you were there...in about 63...no AIT right outta basic, went straight to panama canal zone and worked in motor pool til discharge in late 65...but thanks for sharing the info, and i reckon as long as there have been people there have been wars..-but i don't like it none either!

well the kids have no school today, so i'm gonna take 'em to the shop with me in a little while... i think some time with some sandpaper will do them good, and i have some parts that need removed as well...i am to the point in my life where these kids are getting old enuf to get some work out of them-and i plan to![ddev

well the kids have no school today, so i'm gonna take 'em to the shop with me in a little while... i think some time with some sandpaper will do them good, and i have some parts that need removed as well...i am to the point in my life where these kids are getting old enuf to get some work out of them-and i plan to![ddev

That's why farmers had so many kids - cheap labor ;)

Latest posts

Back