exhaust laws

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joukaishou813924

anyone know where you can find the exhaust laws by year, im wondering what is required for my 65 thunderbird to be street legal.

To my understanding, for most states; vehicles 25 years and older do not qualify for emissions inspection. I know some states have imposed a sound restriction(california can't be louder than 95dB). Hope this helps
paul

my main curiosity was where does it need to come out, this pic got me thinking of something neat.

Attachments

• IMGP7153.jpg
    IMGP7153.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 43
  • IMGP7274.jpg
    IMGP7274.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMGP7279.jpg
    IMGP7279.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 30
ok but what f the mufflers were hid under the hood, would the exhaust coming out the be ok, im just rally not wanting it to come out in front of the rear wheel or stock location in the back if possible. i'd like it to come out up front

here in Washington State it has to be back behind any passinger area where that be a two seater or one seat pipes have to be behind them so fumes don't get in that area. I been pulled over on that one, on one car 5 times in one weekend, but the car had only one seat as it was a delivery, the police would not know there was no back seat until they pulled me over, I was a little heated up by the time the last two cops stopped me,

Have you thought about working a cut out into your set up? I'm sure you could come up with something so you are legal at the push of a button, just dump the exhaust under the car so no one can see it, the only thing they would focus on is what's coming out of the hood(or whatever)
Paul

Last edited:
well i did just think of that idea a lil while ago and came up with idea for a cutout that would exit side of the fender when operated, and out the back when normal.
the fun then comes in trying to hide the exit so it looks almost stock

In California, there's a law called "modified exhaust" which means it can't be any louder than the way it came from the factory. Also, older cars may not need to be smogged but you have to have every smog device that came on the car since '55. This means any that were retro-fitted too. Closed crankcase ventilation and a PVC valve. Any part which states "Not for use on pollution controlled vehicles in California" cannot be used either, post '55. The good news is, with the new crop of kids becoming police officers, very few know anything about cars.

:D[cl:D Over heard a kid today "**** yeah! A bigger pipe (exhaust) will make more compression!" [S

Why do any car guys even live in CA anymore?! :confused:
Year 'round cruising. I thought about leaving the state when I retire but a friend of mine, who has lived in Texas and now lives in Oklahoma, said the hail is so bad, you can't leave a car outside. You have to plan trips around the weather. I decided California wasn't so bad after all (LOL).

Latest posts

Back