Gauges on Ebay???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I though we had an ebay thread but couldn't find it. What do you guys make of this?

The first item has a cool vintage look.... 6 gauges for under $50?

Seems too good to be true but I've wasted 50 on worse things.......

https://www.ebay.com/str/autometerinc

[S I`ve spend very different numbers on gauges... Personally , I would rather spend 50,- on something that burns longer.

Every time I open the link a different set shows up first so I'm not sure which one you're referring to.

I spent the money on Classic Instruments when I built my truck. I haven't regretted it for a second.

Looking around at a few of their items, stuff is made in India. Good or bad, I don’t know, but they look to be knock offs of other stuff. I need a new tach for my MF 240, my hour meter doesn’t work, $35 seems like a steal, just wonder how weatherproof it might be. As much good feedback and as many items as they have to sell, this might be one of deals hidden in open sight.

Is India the next China? I know they have a lot of manufacturing going on, I think Mahindra tractors are made there and they seem to be good. I’m always skeptical when I see something priced low like this, you figure it’s low quality, but it’s not always.

Who’s gonna be our Ginny pig and order some?:D

The lack of information about each gauge package leaves a lot of questions unanswered.

Some gauge packages show a mechanical temp gauge and an electric oil pressure gauge with a sender, and a fuel gauge with a sender (for $54 with free shipping!), but some packages only show the 6 electric gauges ($45 with free shipping!). Electric gauges without matching senders may be worthless, or the senders may be included, anyone's guess. What about the speedo, is it cable driven, or does it require a sender, or is it GPS? Lighting package included, or even available? Also don't know where it might be shipping to you from (that might be reveled in the buying process).

India is currently the lowest labor rate country, it has replaced China as the cheapest place to have stuff made, and you may be buying directly from the manufacturing company.

I'll wait to see how someone else comes out.

The fuel gauge is a 10 to 180 ohms, they sender can be bought on Amazon for $47.
Good luck on getting a temp sender that matches in ohms, the temp gauge is in Celsius.
They say you can substitute the amp meter to volts, which I would do.
The oil pressure gauge is mechanical no biggie there but, some of them are in Bars and not psi. The ones that are psi only go to 50, most of my stuff would have that pegged all the time.

As my own rule, I don't buy from any company that tries to emulate another company. You know you're getting a less than ideal product in that case if they're being dishonest.

In this case, the store name on eBay is autometer-inc, and that alone is enough to make me run away and buy a known product. We know they're not the real autometer, but they're using their name.

Hadn't see the Autometer reference.
Not saying they would but, not saying they wouldn't
This is also on their page
"International shipment of items may be subject to customs processing and additional charges."

I was surfing on ebay this afternoon and came across an ad for a set of 6 gauge "dial faces with matching trim rings" for $84 something dollars. That ad stated the gauges were not included, looks like the same picture as the cheap 6 gauge set shown above.

The "autometer inc". gauge reference was because if you hit the link on the 1st post, the website says they are autometer inc, with no capital letters. I think I remember that the American Autometer gauge company was sold a few years ago.

Latest posts

Back