Ignition problems.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

One

I have a 1973 Ford Mavrick with a 1998 302 V8 that have been converted to carb. The problem im having is that when you try to start the car it sometimes trys to keep starting even after the ignition has been cut off. I replaced the ignition swith but it still does it. Do I need to repalce the selinoid too or could it be another problem. Thanks and God Bless.[P[P

Sounds like the solenoid. If it's not a Motorcraft solenoid, it was probably junk right out of the box. I went through 3 or more Chinese replacements in as many days, before I went to the junk yard and got an original Motorcraft one.

if its a 98

if its a 98 the selonoid is mounted on the starter itself. 3 things to check, make sure where the battery cable is hooked to the top starter post is not touching the ignition post or the ignition post wire. take a voltmeter and check to see what voltage your getting at the ignition wire at the selonoid. if its lower then 10 1/2 volts, it could have heated up the contacts in the selonoid and pitted them where they have arced and welded themselves engaged. and while checking voltage at the ignition, make sure it isnt sending voltage back through the ignition keeping it engaged also. if everything voltage wise checks good, replace the selonoid. if you have voltage still coming through after the switch is off, start checking wiring. or if your running the old style starter with external selonoid, just replace the selonoid, the old style are junkers anymore.

Which starter, old style or the new smaller one with the solenoid on it like a Chevy?

Did you replace the key part of the switch, or the actual ignition switch that mounts on the lower part of the steering column?

I'm thinking like Sam_Fear, the solenoid is probably going bad, but the actual ignition switch could be sticking, too.

Which starter, old style or the new smaller one with the solenoid on it like a Chevy?

Did you replace the key part of the switch, or the actual ignition switch that mounts on the lower part of the steering column?

I'm thinking like Sam_Fear, the solenoid is probably going bad, but the actual ignition switch could be sticking, too.

No,I replaced the ignition switch itself but not the selenoid. The selenoid is an old style on the firewall. I will replace that and see if that works.[P[P

Latest posts

Back