It'smecords 40's ford truck build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took a brake from the build to run to arkansas to get some paper work taken care of,and gather some of my parts I left behind when I moved. Does anyone know where I can get a diskbrake kit to fit a 37 chevy car straight axle ? I picked up a 36,and a 37 axle I have had.My plan is to use one of those under the truck with a disk brake swap and a 5 lug conversion. The issue I have run into is finding a kit. I have found a few online but nothing specific,everything just say "fits 28-40 car/truck spindle excluding the 34-36 light duty type."

Most of the bearing adapters are just a machined sleeve that slides over the existing spindle and the outside matches the inner diameter of the bearing in the new rotors.. Haven't bought it yet, but I found a kit for my ford axle from F100central.com that has caliper brackets and bearing adapters for $125

Tim

I may see about getting the hubs,and calipers at the junk yard. Then see if I can find out if I need the bearing spacers. The description does not specify if the 37 car needs them or not. On another note,I was working some more on my chop (finishing the driver door) and my second grinder of the week burnt up ! They were both black and decker from wally world and had been used about the same amount (3 years) So I can't complain. I was looking at what all I have to work with and I think I may be leaning toward a gasser style stance with this truck. I have always liked the idea of a gasser so I figure...why not THIS project. While I was tooling around my shop cussing the 2 grinders that bit the dust and trying to find something I could dot that was constructive I looked at the roof for the first time in a few days since I chopped it,I am thinking about cutting out the center to the point where it starts to round down to the windows and either A: build a drop in weather proof panel,or B: find a donor vehical and weld another panel that is not all dented up in the hole. Any input greatly appreciated.

Crowd is a little dead this week !
So,I started smoothing out the cowl panel today.....I like the look of these cabs,but hat them at the same time,because I dont like the factory fenders,grill,but they look unfinished without them. So I cut the body out where the fenders bolted and smoothed it out.Also made a lower door patch,AND bead rolled in a little body lane to spice things up a bit at the bottom. What do you think ?

Attachments

• smooth cowl 001.jpg
    smooth cowl 001.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 76
  • smooth cowl 003.jpg
    smooth cowl 003.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 57
  • smooth cowl 004.jpg
    smooth cowl 004.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 62
picked up some front springs today,and also ran across an s10 trans for $75 already pulled ! Gunna pull it apart tomorrow and make sure it really is a good one.

Finished the other side of the cowl panel,and hung my front springs !

Attachments

• cowl-front springs 005.jpg
    cowl-front springs 005.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 36
  • cowl-front springs 003.jpg
    cowl-front springs 003.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 37
Crowd is a little dead this week !
So,I started smoothing out the cowl panel today.....I like the look of these cabs,but hat them at the same time,because I dont like the factory fenders,grill,but they look unfinished without them. So I cut the body out where the fenders bolted and smoothed it out.Also made a lower door patch,AND bead rolled in a little body lane to spice things up a bit at the bottom. What do you think ?

Nice work! That should go a long way towards making it look like it is supposed to fenderless.

thanx ! I like it to. HAve not really made alot of progress the past few days.
I did however cut the middle of the roof out to get rid of the problem area's,I also stripped the frame of the rest of the unneeded hardware as well as factory body mounts. All that I have left to do on the cab is make new hinges,build a few gap fillers,and fill the roof. Gunna pic up a running 350 sat. for $150 ! It's about time to start putting her together.

Got a little done on the truck today,no pics though as it was pretty dark in my shop when I finished for the night. I got the body mounts welded to the frame and the body mounted solid. I also was able to frame out the bed,now alls I need to do is skin it,and drop a peace of stained,cleared plywood in and call it good. MY partner in this deal backed out on me today,so progress is gunna slow down ALOT !

My wife and I got the bed all but finished the other day,so now it is just waiting for me to finish welding it up,and the plywood floor.Tomorrow I am headed back over to my shop to hopefully build up my pedal assembly and get that out of the way. I sill have to mount the bed,and build my door hinges.....what are the thoughts of the forum ? Should I do them suicide style,or like the factory ?

Thanx for the comment on the cowl.I had hoped it would turn out like i had planned ! Any ideas on the best way to hinge them ?

Thanx for the idea,I will look into that and see what I can't find. The salvage yard guys around here are mostly a bunch of moody asses that only wanna punch the clock not help people. There have been many times I have been standing in the middle of a there yard,and called and ask the price on a part and they inform me that they "don't have that part"
I may end up building my own hinges if I run into that again.

I had redo my shops double doors......I STARTED that project today,with the hope of finishing them. Instead I ended up taking the doors off @ 200 lbs. ea. and leaning them against the shop...... Decided that was not any fun and proceeded to pull the front drums off my 50 ford,and check the brake drum/shoes then greased and reinstalled adjusted and bled them. Drove it a little bit !!!!!!! it's been almost a year since I have driven it !!! Then I mocked up the start of my home built steering column,and started building my pedals ! Here is a shot of the (start) of the pedal build.

Attachments

• pumkin-pedals 004.jpg
    pumkin-pedals 004.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 19

Latest posts

Back