Machine Shop Ruined My Buick Drums

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gastrick

One of the Dirty Dozen!
I'm so mad. I was about to start the "45 finned Buick drums on the front of my coupe" project. I've gathered all the parts that I need and was ready to start. My dad took my drums to a machine shop Friday to have the lip removed that intereferes with the Ford backing plates. He picked them up later that same day but never inspected them. I was pretty excited to get started this morning but upon looking at the drums, I was horrified. They are ruined.

This really doesn't show well in the pics but I'll show them anyway so you see what I mean. First of all, the machinist (if you can call him that) used a mill instead of a lathe. It appears that he didn't secure the drums to the table. There are deep tool gouges all over them. There is more than a quarter of an inch difference in some places on the depth of the cut. There is no way that these would ever balance, and even if you cleaned up his work (again, if you can call it that), there is too much of the lining removed. Note that I didn't want any of the lining removed, just the aluminum lip.

So now I'm out the machine shop bill, the cost of these drums, the cost of another pair of drums when I can find some, and the machine shop bill to get those turned. He was closed today or I would have been there. My guess is that he's going to say "tough luck" though, leaving me without much recourse. Before any tough guys start saying "I would beat him to a bloody pulp". No you wouldn't. The only person that would end up paying for that is me. In fact, I'm glad that he was closed today. I was furious.

Here's what I've got. Keep in mind that a professional machine shop did this. I could have done better with a grinder. I just wish my dad would inspected them before accepting them.

Aw man, that is really a shame. Finding good ones to start with is tough enough, but to have someone who doesn't know what they are doing ruin them is even worse.

When I took Dan's to the machine shop to have the bolt pattern redrilled I had a very long talk with the guy and told him "these are irreplacable and worth $ 400 a pair, do you know what I'm telling you?" I showed him the fins and all an told him they snap off easily, so be careful. Luckily he did, but charged me $ 175 to punch 10 holes in them. :eek:

It's hard to tell from the pictures Bill, is that area visable when mounted? No way to save them, huh? I'm so sorry to hear about that.

Don

If you are lucky,someone who knows what they are doing,and has the
right equipment might be able to cut them a little deeper to clean up.

If you get them to Bob wilson he will fix them up for you, that sucks, looks like he tried doing it in a brake lathe

Rusty

What the......

That REALLY sucks badly, hopefully the right machinest can clean it up.
I hope you can still make them work, Gastrick. '22

If you are lucky,someone who knows what they are doing,and has the
right equipment might be able to cut them a little deeper to clean up.

If I have them cut them deeper, won't I lose too much shoe engagement? I can try to find someone to straighten them out, but at the narrrowest point, the lining is now 1 3/4".

It's hard to tell from the pictures Bill, is that area visable when mounted? No way to save them, huh? I'm so sorry to hear about that.

Don

Don, the area wouldn't be visible when installed. My concern is that the they would have to be cut down even more to be straightened out and that would make the lining awful narrow. Thank's to the :confused:machinist:confused: the lining is now 1 3/4" in some places. The shoes are going to overhang them.

Wow, I know I would at least make an a-hole of myself at the machine shop to make myself feel better. I would not beat him but I would call him some choice names.

that sucks dude! if they are any good they should make it right. maybe they got farmed out to a new guy in the shop. either way, that sucks dude, sorry.

Man that sounds like my luck. Sorry to hear that bud. Can you weld it up and have it turned down again.

Last edited:
since im in machining business and do machining by myself, i can only say: thats a horrible job...i could never allow myself this...thats just irresponsible and plain stupid...looks like a first timer machinist work...

I`m sorry man , that really stinks , I think the best thing to do is start over with a new pair .... I`ll tell you a story , when I took my radiator cap to get chromed , the shop called and said it was done , I went to get it and it was all blistered and peeling , he still wanted his money , I told him that I would pay him but I was going to make a sign that said chrome plating by XXXX shop and display it for all to see , he didn`t like that idea and told me to leave , I still had to get it redone at another shop but I didn`t have to pay him either , sometimes you have to get creative with these shops to make things right ........`24

I've always had good luck with filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Even against credit card companys. When I had a complaint against the Performance Parts Warehouse, they bent over backwards to make it right.

I wonder if you could have a few beads run with a tig to build them up , then have them remachined , on a lathe this time .

Omg!!!

Gastrick,
Wow... I don't know what I would do or say! I can only say... there is absolutely NO excuse for that!!! If he won't fess up... I'd go to small claims court for $$$ to replace them.

BoB

I think that is a good idea. He is in the business and should have knowledge of how to perform all kinds of machining tasks. The job he did was really an abortion. I could have done better with a disc grinder.

See how it goes Monday then decide from there. BTW, I'm an expert on this small claims thing...........I watch the Peoples Court every day (is she a cutie or what??? :D:D) so if you need any advice just ask. :rolleyes:

Don

I think that is a good idea. He is in the business and should have knowledge of how to perform all kinds of machining tasks. The job he did was really an abortion. I could have done better with a disc grinder.

See how it goes Monday then decide from there. BTW, I'm an expert on this small claims thing...........I watch the Peoples Court every day (is she a cutie or what??? :D:D) so if you need any advice just ask. :rolleyes:

Don

Hey Don, I have this nieghbour who keeps shoveling his snow on to my side of our shared driveway..............

Sorry my bad, but I just couldn't leave that one alone. :D

Latest posts

Back