No other like it.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm getting closer to being back on the road. I got the wheels back yesterday. I put the new brakes, springs, wheel cylinders, and seals on last night. I sealed up the diff cover. Then I realized that one of my brake lines is too short. The last axle had one brake caliper in front, and the other caliper in the back of the axle. I had one hose longer than the other. Well now I need both of them to be the longer length. :rolleyes:

Interesting texture on those wheels. Usually they improve the texture on my junk. Are they black or is that charcoal or....? They are going to look great on that rat.

By the way soltz, 8literbeater is one of a few on here who doesn't have an old age excuse.

Interesting texture on those wheels. Usually they improve the texture on my junk. Are they black or is that charcoal or....? They are going to look great on that rat.

By the way soltz, 8literbeater is one of a few on here who doesn't have an old age excuse.

I think I knew that :rolleyes:

It's a grey hammertone. It's similar to what it was before.

Here's a picture of the finish on the old wheels. I used hammertone spray paint.

Here's the new finish.

congrats on getting it going again.. should have less problems now with the dana out back

[P

teaser pics

The hubodometer was easier on this axle than the last one. All I had to do was drill the end of the axle and thread it. I was expecting that to be a pain, but it was pretty straightforward. I started the engine an put it in first gear, and put a drill motor on a jack stand, and drilled it out while it was turning. It came out centered and straight. No adapters or anything else this time.

The shocks got moved from the back of the axle to the front, and off at an angle. I like the way it looks now, better than before. (you basically can't see them)
new axle

old axle

Looks good! How does it run???

I think it's smoother than before. I don't know if I got the driveshaft straighter, or the extra weight makes that much of a difference. Bumps are still bumps, but there seems to be less rumble or something. [S

The brakes are definitely better. The pedal is pretty spongy, but I might still have some air in them. I'm gonna let the shoes break in a little and re-adjust them and re-bleed. Anyway, the 12x3 drums are doing more than the little 10 inch discs did.

Latest posts

Back