"old rusty" budget building a rat rod

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great start Preacher! Will be following this one for sure. As for the controversy with the IFS...I say use what you got.

Keep us posted!

-Troy

HRP totaly missed the start of your Build. I guess I have been in the BS lounge to much lately:rolleyes:.That old heater would make a nice grill insert or back window infill [dr. The old b&s might be a little under powered with out some mods:D Nice score on the frame.

Last edited:
Great start Preacher! Will be following this one for sure. As for the controversy with the IFS...I say use what you got.

Keep us posted!

-Troy

well the ifs got traded for a 37 ford front axle and wishbone....lol

using the rails and trunk section of the lincoln for frame rails - 2 1/4"x 4 1/2" 1/8" wall thickness... --

i agree with your sentiments though--wwe use what we got--or can get cheap!:D

HRP totaly missed the start of your Build. I guss I has been in the BS lounge to mush lately:rolleyes:.That old heater would make a nice grill insert or back window infill [dr. The old b&s might be a little under powered with out some mods:D Nice score on the frame.

yep i hide in the "bs lounge" more than the shop:rolleyes: .. i liked the look of that heater-metal too!

the old briggs was photo-ed to see if anyone else has memories of that type of "crank" system...

about 5 yrs old i remember mom trying to start a mower with one of those...the old thing just wouldn' start... i'm pretty sure it wasnt long after that when a new red push mower showed up on our place... with a pull rope starter... lol never saw another "crank handle" like that...til this one

.........the old briggs was photo-ed to see if anyone else has memories of that type of "crank" system...

Yes the Briggs brought back memories for me. When I was in 4th grade a guy who lived next door to the school had a rototiller with that wind up starter . That spring he got the tiller out and plowed about half way across his garden and it quit. I watched out the window (like I did way too much :rolleyes:) as he wound it up and let it spin over and over with no luck. I can still hear the ratcheting clickety click and the futile few turns of the engine along with him swearing at it :D Finally he threw an "Appalachian Equipment Cover" (that's a wash tub in laymen's terms) over it and it was still sitting there in the middle of the garden when school ended that summer. :p Thanks for the memories!

Your 9 yr old is definitely a rat rodder! [cl How fast the grades come up will tell for sure. (Then again, it's hard to get good grades when you spend a lot of time daydreaming about cars. ;))

small update...worked on cleaning up metal for frame rails...

also stuck a couple of sections together but then ran out of welding wire...

maybe ill get back to this in a week or 2 :rolleyes:

Attachments

• ratrod update 018.jpg
    ratrod update 018.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 28
  • ratrod update 021.jpg
    ratrod update 021.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 28
  • ratrod update 022.jpg
    ratrod update 022.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 26
  • ratrod update 023.jpg
    ratrod update 023.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 26
  • ratrod update 025.jpg
    ratrod update 025.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 30
  • ratrod update 026.jpg
    ratrod update 026.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 32
  • ratrod update 027.jpg
    ratrod update 027.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 33
  • ratrod update 017.jpg
    ratrod update 017.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 29
the vertical tubing is for a rear "kick up" and rt now its exact height is still undetermined... will take a few more measurements before cutting any of it off tho... lol

i have learned (again:rolleyes:) the rule of welding...tack everything, double check everything, then recheck everything..... THEN proceed with welding things up... anyway here are a few pics of the frame rails for the old rusty ford...

Attachments

• rusty ratrod frame build 013.jpg
    rusty ratrod frame build 013.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 24
  • rusty ratrod frame build 014.jpg
    rusty ratrod frame build 014.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 23
  • rusty ratrod frame build 015.jpg
    rusty ratrod frame build 015.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 21
  • rusty ratrod frame build 016.jpg
    rusty ratrod frame build 016.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 23
  • rusty ratrod frame build 017.jpg
    rusty ratrod frame build 017.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 31
  • rusty ratrod frame build 018.jpg
    rusty ratrod frame build 018.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 24
the last pic is of some rear motorcycle coil-overs that i have acquired from Oldskool...

anybody ever try to use them on a bobbed truck? looking for a decent ride and thought a guy might use 2 pair if one set was too soft...

the first ya-hoo that tells me to go buy real coil overs will be the one expected to buy and ship me a set!:mad:[ddd

well the kids were out of school today for a state basketball tournament:rolleyes:

so me n lil ratrodders went scrounging around our stash of junk for ratrod "inspiration" ...

here is the new plan or the rear axle...sad to some perhaps, the dual wheel idea is now gone, big slicks are the new plan... here are the wheels we found for the project 15x 10 steelies... and old school truck hubcaps:D

i asked the boy what color we should paint the wheels... his reply...
"What,we can't leave 'em rusty?" [ddd:cool:

yep he is a ratrodder[cl

Attachments

• rusty ratrod wheels 008.jpg
    rusty ratrod wheels 008.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 19
  • rusty ratrod wheels 010.jpg
    rusty ratrod wheels 010.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 23
  • rusty ratrod wheels 007.jpg
    rusty ratrod wheels 007.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 30
  • rusty ratrod wheels 009.jpg
    rusty ratrod wheels 009.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 24
Like the build! I think if a guy looks around and does a little trading he can build a really cool and cheap rat rod. I've been collecting stuff and hope to start a build this year and stay under $1500.00....Nice choice on the wheels and the kids right leave em rusty

kids out of school again today for basketball tournament...again:rolleyes:

so me n both boys went to shop n done some work on the cab for the ratrod...

i will share a few pics here of our progress, but i am also planning a full documentation of today's activities in another thread that ill post later as a "how to chop a top...my way"

just a pretty good start here...:p

Attachments

• drag ratt chop top 004.jpg
    drag ratt chop top 004.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 27
  • drag ratt chop top 009.jpg
    drag ratt chop top 009.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 25
  • drag ratt chop top 018.jpg
    drag ratt chop top 018.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 28
  • drag ratt chop top 023.jpg
    drag ratt chop top 023.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 27
  • drag ratt chop top 024.jpg
    drag ratt chop top 024.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 26
  • drag ratt chop top 026.jpg
    drag ratt chop top 026.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 28
  • drag ratt chop top 038.jpg
    drag ratt chop top 038.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 28
  • drag ratt chop top 039.jpg
    drag ratt chop top 039.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 33
chop top is a litte behind schedule, but i am afraid i have worse news...

the grades are lower than what we had anticipated, sooooo

for the oldest boy- no ipod, or video games and for the other one no ratrodding til summer :(

i may try to find time to finish up the chop before "shelving" this project for a better time:rolleyes:

back to "real shop work" [;):(

HRP.....does the school offer any on line courses??

Maybe they could make up some there?? One of my sons struggled in school...he's a "hands on" (kinestic) learner....hates to listen to lectures and doesn't get anything out of reading in text books either....but got him on the computer and he did all his work without a hitch....just a thought....if it's available.....

thanks sarge, had not crossed my mind, but i will look into it...

the boy's problem is not a lack of intelligence, but a lack of application i'm afraid, or so it seems...

Yo Preacher--That -'Hands on' learning style is often linked to dyslexia. I'm dyslexic and often have problems understanding written and verbal instructions, but I can do anything if I touch it. I've rebuilt 10-15 automatic transmissions and the drawings are totally nonsense to me untill I touch the gears and clutches and it all makes perfect sense--till I bolt it back together and then I'm clueless again!??

This learning disability stuff is real.

Cool project there.. (Boy and car)..

PA41

hey PA! been wondering what you were up to, or where ya been hiding...

good to hear from you - even if it is accusing my son of a learning disability:D

i did manage to muster enuf time to finish fitting the roof and tacked it in place...

hung the door after cutting its top off...

fitting doors will be done later.... probably a long time later:rolleyes:
b/c of grades:(

Attachments

• rat build pics 006.jpg
    rat build pics 006.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 17
  • rat build pics 008.jpg
    rat build pics 008.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 17
  • rat build pics 009.jpg
    rat build pics 009.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 18