Oooops! I did it again !!!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don I used a stock pinto, same thing, bought the hole car for 50 bucks, sold the eng, trans for 75 = free front end with new rotors, brakes, bearings and shocks on my 2000 pound willys it handled great and not a bad ride for something that light. Just a thought if $ is an issue. [S

Attachments

• Build 082.jpg
    Build 082.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 33
I would probably shy away from using a stock MII suspension on something as heavy as this will be. Going with a tubular A arm type set up winds up being stronger. You can get the bigger 11" rotors as well. Also if you are going to use it as a daily I would suggest a power rack as well. There are a bunch of options out there as far as ratios to take the twitch out (slower ratio). The longer wheel base helps in that department as well. Just my $.02 [P

I'm looking into a Jag IFS for my Lincoln, you might want to do the same. Entire unit bolts in or welds in, has it's own crossmember, disc brakes, and rack and pinion steering. And the Jag is a heavier car than the MII.

I look forward to following this, Don all of your builds are fantastic and I'm sure this one won't disappoint. I've seen MII suspensions used on 3,000 lb race cars with no problems even with stock spindles and control arms, I've also seen MII used on pickups with big blocks so I don't see why it work just fine under this car. That's just my opinion.

Thanks, guys. Tonight we are going to push the 46 from Don's shop to our shop. I spent last week cleaning out a space for it and moving my rpu over to where I can still work on it. I have decided to keep moving ahead on the rpu because it is so darned close to being done that it would be a shame to quit working on it now because of the 46 coming back home. So I will put a cover over it until the rpu is running and then I can start on it.

Dan also bought back the 30 Ford Tudor sedan he sold Don a couple of years ago. Don is starting a new business and needs the room in his shop, so he is letting go of the 46 and the Model A. Dan and I are pretty happy to get our two cars back, not sure why we sold them in the first place.

But I have still been getting parts for the 350 engine done at the machine shop. I picked up the crank that they polished and dropped off the World Product heads to be freshened up. In my spare time I can assemble the motor and have it all ready to go into the 46 when it is needed. All I need to assemble it now is a cam and lifters, oil pump, and rings. I picked up the bearings and complete gasket set this week, so that leaves very few parts yet to buy.

The more I look at the rpu the more I want to do it so it looks like a survivor. Not sure that is where I will end up, but just something I am thinking about. The "barn find" look is starting to grow on me:

Don

i have a 47 ford 2 door sedan with tubular mustang II front end, power steering, power brakes, 350/ 350 it drives and handles great!!! the only thing i need to do is put a few more degree of cast in it when i get the new tires put on. mine has some surface rust and old paint. i was also worired about it getting worse, or clear not sticking. so what i did was used boiled linseed oil. just wipe it on, let it sit and wipe off the extra. gives it a semi to low gloss finish, and is cheap. $7 to do the hole car. probably will re coat once a year

i have a 47 ford 2 door sedan with tubular mustang II front end, power steering, power brakes, 350/ 350 it drives and handles great!!! the only thing i need to do is put a few more degree of cast in it when i get the new tires put on. mine has some surface rust and old paint. i was also worired about it getting worse, or clear not sticking. so what i did was used boiled linseed oil. just wipe it on, let it sit and wipe off the extra. gives it a semi to low gloss finish, and is cheap. $7 to do the hole car. probably will re coat once a year

How will that affect it if you ever do have to paint it?

I've been using boiled linseed oil on my rust for years . Apply it in spring and fall , kinda brings the metal back to life . Always gives me a chuckle when somebody asks " how do you get rust to shine ? "

How does it hold up to rain, pressure washer, etc.? If you want to paint over it, being an oil, does the paint just fall off? I know some people have tricks that work but you can essentially never paint the vehicle afterwards.

mine has some surface rust and old paint. i was also worired about it getting worse, or clear not sticking. so what i did was used boiled linseed oil. just wipe it on, let it sit and wipe off the extra. gives it a semi to low gloss finish, and is cheap. $7 to do the hole car. probably will re coat once a year

I've been using boiled linseed oil on my rust for years . Apply it in spring and fall , kinda brings the metal back to life . Always gives me a chuckle when somebody asks " how do you get rust to shine ? "

Do either of you have before/after the oil treatment pics to share? PM me if so, please. I would consider doing this to my '46 if it works well!

Do either of you have before/after the oil treatment pics to share? PM me if so, please. I would consider doing this to my '46 if it works well!

not trying to hijack a thread but here is a pic of mine half way through applying the linseed oil. from what i read online, just wipe down with lacquer thinner and you can paint the metal. i read a lot of shops use it when doing large projects. they coat the metal with linseed oil to prevent flash rust before it can be finished and painted.

Sure hope the there isn't a shortage of Lin's....

We keep using the seeds for oilin up cars....heck they'll be an endangered species....[S.....might go the way of the Naga.....dang near lost them all using their hides for car interiors......:D

We keep using the seeds for oilin up cars....heck they'll be an endangered species....[S.....might go the way of the Naga.....dang near lost them all using their hides for car interiors......:D

At first Sgt I thought your profiling of my breakfast pastries was off color but now I see YOU have had too many sugary donuts with funny sprinkles!! Lol [cl

Latest posts

Back