Wed. Night on the River

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SSFR2011025.jpg

A nice, ratty Binder. I didn't see under the hood but is really smoked one tire in the burn out box.:D

SSFR2011004.jpg

This is Mick Keiffer's '40 Coupe. Mick closely resembled Don Knotts and spent many years acting as Barny Fife at various car shows, including lots of Goodguys shows. Mick was pretty sick for a long time and some of his friends got the coupe running so he got to drive it before he died. One of his wishes was to run it down the drag strip. That wish went unfulfilled, but today his wife did make a pass in the '40.

SSFR2011003.jpg

Here's Terry, Tator on RRR, putting the wheelie bars on the Stude before making a pass in the 10.20's.
I only made one run as it was so busy especially with a lot of guys having never raced before. About 3:00 pm a Corvette spun out at the finish line and hit both walls. The car was pretty much totalled. It broke the concrete guard rail and put lots of fluids on the track, ending racing for the day. From the starting line where I was it looked like he tossed a rod or broke a crank and spun out in his engine oil as there was a brown mist in the air.

SSFRCrosley.jpg

One of my friends took a pic of my Crosley approaching the line. The Chevelle beat me with a 10.40-something to my 11.22. The Crosley is red lining way before the finish line and I have been lifting to keep from over-revving. The car should be in the high 10's easily.

Last edited:
Wheelie.jpg

For all you International fans, the Binder won! The Firebird went airborne a second time took a right and clobbered the 330' llight. The announcer scolded the Poncho driver and told him to get his wheelie bars adjusted correctly.

Thanks for the drag coverage Bob W.

It's good to see that Mick Keiffer's wife followed through for for him. I didn't know him but got to see him in costume with the Mayberry car once.

The Tator Altered is looking real good.

So what do you need to do in order to get through the lights with your foot on the loud pedal of the Crosley? Less gear? Taller tire? More cam?

Gas, I became convinced that a stock crank 406 sbc should not be revved over 5,000rpm. I talked to my brother, who ran one in a low 10 second Nova. Also talked to a close friend and engine expert in Atlanta. Both agree that a 5,500 redline would not be a risk. Even 6,000 is ok as far as they are concerned. That will be enough for me to run the quarter all out.

So, in two weeks I'll find out if I'm capable of winding the engine that tight and not be worried about a 125mph trap speed. Oddly, I have trouble running even a race engine hard. Tend to bably all my stuff. Also, I don't like going fast. What kind of drag racer is that???

It goes 11.11 and 117mph holding it steady the last 300-400 feet. That's leaving at an idle and shifting at 5,000 (or sooner). Lot's of room for improvement. 'Spose I could try the trans brake too.

Last edited:
TheLastWed002.jpg

Back to Wed. Nite on the River. The last one of the season. It's been so nice and ward it doesnt seem right to end for the year.

TheLastWed009.jpg

There weren't any Rats there that I haven't already posted. There's a couple Stude lovers around here so this 'vert is for them.
That's the lift bridge over the St. Croix river in the background.

TheLastWed003.jpg

The river bluffs on the Wisconsin (Packers) side of the river in the background. My friend Greg's '27 anti-rat roadster in the foreground.

Latest posts

Back