1st build, 1933 olds rat

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just love them Oldmobiles! I know it's not the way most of the time but it would be sweet with a Olds engine. good luck with your project.

I think the trunk may be a bolt-on option. The line where the trunk meets the body is awfully crisp.

251107006.jpg

on the H A M B

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225822&highlight=1933+oldsmobile

and a second one on there with a trunk

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=427953&highlight=1933+oldsmobile

Fenders or no, you gotta keep the hood sides. Those bump outs are way to cool to ditch! The body is art on its own, but the grille and hood are the whole package. What a great car!

The other 34 from Carnuts site, with the "beavertail". Tried to locate something else for you as well, but like others have said, pretty hard to find a '33 Olds.

nat0376.jpg

nat0377.jpg

thanks guys, ive also been finding stuff about the car as well.

also found this on ebay. an add from back then.

o193.jpg

nice olds

l usually like the fenderless and/or hoodless look, BUT, on this car the hood and fenders look awsome.
that is a unique looking hood, lot of ugly hoods out there, this one's really cool.
if mine, l'd keep'em:D

Later[dr

Another thing about going fenderless....I am pretty sure this is a much bigger car than a 33 Ford. The bigness might make it hard to get the proportions right.

The rear wheel arches on these cars are long. They are about the same as my 35 chevy. I dont think it will look right with the fenders removed. Unless you can fill them some what to make them smaller. Other wise that is a real cool car.

i got it in my head i can pull it off. i got an idea for the rear without removing the beavertail, because it has grown on me and i like it.

well i got a rearend today, might have to look for a longer one depending on rim backset. i also got a sag 4 sp manual tranny yesterday. im running out of room inside the rod with this axle lol.

ok fellas.

i got tons of ideas in my head but i keep running into road blocks.

1st problem, my frame material will not be here till next week.
2nd, being im going low and baggin it. i have quickly ran out of room in the pass compartment. was wondering how short of a 4 link ppl have ran without problem?

3rd. i would like to get the front axle out front. in doing so with #'s ive taken from this great site and others. it will put my wheelbase way out there, like out there. i did notice my fire wall tapers out at the bottom 4" from the top. so if i would flatten it or push it in 4" i would pick up needed space to move the motor back which should give me 8" or so up front that is needed.

thoughts about the above questions

you could run a ladder bar setup in the rear. moves in an arc as apposed to straight like a 4 link but you gain more interior room due to no upper bars.

well today i got my material for the frame. i got 90% of it cut now. i plan on hitting the garage sometime in the morning and start welding it up with pics to follow.

well here are some more boring frame pics, but its my frame. lol.

2x4x3/16" tubing. 45*- 6" front z, 60*- 17" rear z.

i dont have the cross members laid out yet because im still working with the front frame lengh. i cut it a little long so i can play with it some. i know i want to be at 28 1/8" at the firewall and 23" at the radiator. its squarded up and i tacked welded some metal so it doesnt change, but will let me move it in and out if i need to.

heres the pics.

zdframe005.jpg

zdframe001.jpg

zdframe004.jpg

zdframe007.jpg

Not at all boring, a lot of times people don't comment on every update but they look at them. I'm sure we all have learned things from these builds, I know I have so keep the updates coming!

thanks guys

grb, i think the frame pics are boring, but its mine. when you start getting all the brackets, hangers and little one off dodads is where i like to see them. i like looking at the machanics of items. figuring how, why and will it work right is what i like to do.

i still have to weld on the gussets overtop of the joints. i did a 100% weld but safety first.

i know i asked alot of questions about frame width and so on, on another post. i know each build is different. i took all the info i gathered, copied and printed to the garage. i sat there and looked and looked till i came up with my own design. you will not see the front z of the frame. i placed it just inside the front cowl where it mounted to the oem frame. its just going to be a little bit higher and out of the way of my feet, in thery lol.

Nice work! It feels great after you get the frame squared up. I've always cracked a cold one open after that. LOL

Latest posts

Back