1st build, 1933 olds rat

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sir woosh, thank you. also i found out its not a sedan, what me and your buddy have is a 5 pass coupe.

dont have pics at the time but.

i started to run brake lines, hope to have the rearend done today. i started to rebuild the front king pins yesterday. i got the bushing in but dont have anywhere yet to ream them out. changed the filter and fluid in the tranny. going on a drive shaft search today at my buddys house. also made the cheapest manual air bag system in the world. i did buy dot approved air line and some fittings, well to many expensive fitting that i didnt use. the plus side of that is i bought so many of them the guy at napa gave me a break on all of them. bad thing is i only used 4 out of the 14 or so i bought.

i kinda started the front end stuff while its under the body. so i have to get that part done so i can get to the rest of the car without problems. i dont think the place i need to get ahold of will be open today, so it will have to wait till late tomorrow.

i also ordered rear shocks and bump stops last night. so a couple of things to the rear and it should be buttoned up.

Pics please!:D

of?

very impressive work , nice fuel tank and all the frame work looks great.

thank you sir.

well i got my drive shaft, woohoo. i also got the th400 slip yoke. its funny but my buddy had a monte carlo drive shaft. its the same o.d. the whole length. also it has the same universals as the th400 slip yoke and my 88 1/2 ton rear end, and they have grease zirks. so i have to cut about 2.5' off of it but i should have something set up for it tomorrow.

he also gave me a 60's 409 air cleaner. it looks good on that 455 lol.

i hope to get my front spindles taken care of tomorrow, so i hope to have pics of the new/used parts by then.

ok here we go.

heres the air cleaner i got. the cheap arse air bag valve system and whats left of my front axle. i droped off the spindles today and will get them back tomorrow. i also ordered a front shackle kit as well that should come in this week.

parts002.jpg

parts004.jpg

parts005.jpg

here is the rear cross member and gussets i put in infront of the 2"x4" kick outs for the front ladder bar mount. also my very short drive shaft.

parts010.jpg

parts011.jpg

parts012.jpg

parts013.jpg

parts016.jpg

I put a cad 500 in a 87 RX7 with a long shaft th400. the drive shaft was 19" long! [cl

well i took everyones input and welded a gusset on to the radius rods where i cut the pie to have tire room, pic below. i also got my king pin bushings done yesterday at the machine shop. i spent most of last night effed off to no extent because i could not get the new shackle kit on. today with a fresh head i had it together in a hr or so. so i continued to install the front disk brake kit. it came with super bell instructions, but the fit and finish sucks. had to grind the caliper and caliper mounting bracket so they would fit together. the dust cover will not go all the way on because it hits the nut, its hanging about 3/16" proud from home. since the fitment of the rotor dust cover is junk. i had to put a spacer plate behind the wheel so the center cap fits. i didnt include the front wheels installed. ill save that for the end.

brakes003.jpg

brakes004.jpg

brakes005.jpg

brakes006.jpg

brakes007.jpg

here is one of my bump stops and shocks. i have both of each on. just did a quick pic of them. the shocks are set 30* forward.

all001.jpg

all002.jpg

i also fab a plate for the fuse box and installed it.

all004.jpg

here is the start for my floor pans. i have them all cut but a little one. now its just a matter of laying them down again, marking them and pulling them out to drill plug holes. im doing the tac and beat to make sure there tight. you can also see 1 of my access pannels for the brakes and air bag manifold.

all003.jpg

all005.jpg

all006.jpg

i called it quits for today. need to rest sometime on the weekend.

well i went out and hacked off my 41 1.5 ton truck filler neck. it found a good home, lol.

close005.jpg

i got the floor installed, pics below. i still have to make the 2 doors and the top firewall tunnel/ gauge pod piece. the area over the shifter is removable, right now i have little sheet metal screws holding it. i have dzus fasners to install soon.

close003.jpg

close010.jpg

close011.jpg

i also got my 33 olds parking brake converted to a auto shifter and hooked up. i cut in the notches for the positions and it goes in the right direction.

close009.jpg

close006.jpg

close010.jpg

also welded a bracket for the brake switch with an adjustment.

close012.jpg

thank you nos

well today was my dead line. i didnt make it but i feel i did quite a job trying to reach it. there are so many things that you dont think of when you start a project of this kind. i did some more wiring last night, got my brake lights installed and wired in. i still have to wire the front part of the car. repair, chop, install the grill shell and radiator. frame the doors and hang and a few odds and ends. i think within 2 or 3 weeks ill have it done.

Latest posts

Back