50s Ford F1 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First time I have ever found this thread on the second page of the build section. Seemed kind of strange so I figured I would bump it back to the top.

Heh, if I would get off my rear and take some pictures of the progress, it might stay on page 1 [cl

My outside "door handles" should be here friday, but probably wont get to that for a bit. I was working on seat belt assembly mounts a bit last night, I have some beefy angle pieces I'm going to weld into the cab floor by the mount, and then weld in some tubing on the door frame for strength on the upper mount.

I'll try to snap some pics... hoping to get fuel tonight, and to the exhaust shop thursday...

Not a lot to report, I did get 15 gallons of propane yesterday in hopes I can take the truck to get exhaust work done. Everything went fine with that, the fuel gauge works, just reads a bit lower than what should be in the tank.

keep hacking at it, it will be "done" and you will love driving her around.

glad to see progress,

Later :cool:

Yea, it is always good to get some progress. After talking to my exhaust guy, he is still booked, but said to call him when I get back from vacation.
I'm going to give him one more chance to get me in, and then I'll just do it myself, as much as I hate doing exhaust....

I did put some turn outs on the headers just to get the noise going out to the side for now though...

Same BS runaround, so I called a place I used to use and I'm going there tomorrow with the truck if the weather permits.

I need to work on the seat belts, just have not had any time as of late... If it cools off tonight maybe I will get out there.

You going to 2 point or 3 point belts???

I have the 3 point belts that came with the windstar seats, I have one mount made, but I have to weld it in to the cab mount yet... Just have not put a lot of effort forth lately on the rat, too many other things to do in summer... Soon I will be back at it!

Good call on the seat belts....

I may have told this story on here before but the guy that bought my former DD 1950 GMC panel was envolved in an accident with it. He hit the rear corner of a 3/4 ton suburban and then drove off the road straight into a telephone pole.
All at about 60 MPH:eek:
Says the only thing that saved him was the belt/shoulder harness system that we installed.
Keep at it DR. Something always seems to come up in the summertime......
Torchie.

Body Lines

Hey DR,

Are you planning on sectioning your grill to get the 'nose' of your truck in-line with the top of the cowl or body lines on the cab?

I know a lot of folks try to follow a common rake or lack thereof when putting these dispirit parts together & that may not be your intent.

As I was watching you put it together I had this vision of what I thought it was going to be & then seeing the show shots with the tail & nose up were just surprising to me.

I love your build, great frame, engine (fuel!) and trunk-bed.
Please don't take this as criticism, I'm just trying to soak up as much as I can from the talented builders on this site.

Thanks,
Chaz

Attachments

• DirtyRatF1bodyLines.jpg
    DirtyRatF1bodyLines.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 42
The rear is staying as is, from the side profile it is how I like it, I know on some of the 3/4 shots it looks a little disjointed, but side profile, and rear profile I really do like the look. I'm ok with listening to thoughts on the build, and I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, and I'm ok with it =)

The front was sectioned already about 3-4" and it cannot be lowered anymore due to the radiator, and the travel of the rotary shocks in the front. At this point, I actually like it being higher than the cab, its pretty menacing from the front, and it was function over form in the end that won so I could fit the radiator in that I needed.

Anyhow, I got the truck back from the exhaust shop last night, I'm happy with it!
I'll see about getting some pics, and maybe get the wife to do some video work for me on the sound...

attachment.php

attachment.php

That is so cool - makes me want to start another project! What kind of sound were you targeting from the exhaust? Yes - let's hear it!

Good job!

John L.

It certainly doesn't look like it'll take any lip from anyone.

I also think that all the work you went to on the hubcaps was REALLY worth it. Your wheel/tire/hubcap combo looks awesome. I've always been a fan of white letters, the opposing whites seem to make it look faster when it's rolling.

-Chaz

I like it as is too. The only thing I think needs to be changed is the owners name on the title and get it down here out of the rust belt.

It's great the way it is in my mind too Pops.
One of a kind and owner built to boot. I can only imagine the looks ND will get when people see that coming down the road at them.[ddd [cl[cl[cl :D
Drive on Dirtyrat.......
Torchie.

That is so cool - makes me want to start another project! What kind of sound were you targeting from the exhaust? Yes - let's hear it!

Good job!

John L.

I mentioned it to the wife, so I'm hoping we can get some video of it at idle, revving up, and some drive by stuff, I like it really quiet at idle, but nice and throaty when getting on the gas and thats what I got. more to come, I'm probably going to a car show tomorrow for a bit...

And thanks for all the complements guys, they are much appreciated!
Even the exhaust shop mentioned that the frame and suspension setup were really well built, especially compared to some of the rats they had seen, and even compared to some of the really fast drag cars that are scary when put on a lift...

Quick picture at a charity car show from yesterday

Still have not made time to get exhaust pics, but hopefully some time soon, along with some drive by video.

Anyhow, was a great positive energy at the charity car show, logs of great people, and also got an invite to a car club meeting so since I have been looking to join up with others who love cars locally that is a good thing! Also picked up an award which I was not expecting, but wow my daughter was so excited that I won something with the truck!

Attachments

• 1908019_10203148027515372_1123932391433706225_n.jpg
    1908019_10203148027515372_1123932391433706225_n.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 36
Congrats on the win!

Thanks! Was totally unexpected, was mostly a shiny car show with only a couple traditionals, and a couple rats...

I took a couple pics of the exhaust (3" collector to a 2.25 true dual setup into Xcellerator mufflers which are pretty much identical to a magnaflow), depending on how the wife and I feel later tonight maybe some video, but probably sometime in the week. Partial recovery time from the Jimmy Buffet concert last night...

Attachments

• DSC05551.jpg
    DSC05551.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC05552.jpg
    DSC05552.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC05553.jpg
    DSC05553.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC05554.jpg
    DSC05554.jpg