Harbor Freight Alert!!!!!!!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

Wanted to pass this great deal along. Went into Harbor Freight today to buy a new spray gun........mine got plugged up yesterday when the primer cured too soon while spraying my Kids T frame. (It's soaking in laquer thinner now:()

Anyway, they have a regularly $ 39.95 HVLP 20 oz cup gravity feed spray gun on sale for $9.95 !!! I figured it would be a good primer gun so I bought one, plus I bought another one that was on sale for $ 39.95 (different model). Today we used the $ 9.95 one to shoot epoxy primer on his frame, and this thing is really a good gun. It works every bit as good as my expensive Craftsman gun, and the primer went on glass smooth. Tomorrow I am taking back the $ 39.95 gun and buying 3 or 4 more of the cheap ones.........it is that good. Has good balance and feels comfortable to use.

Just thought I would pass this super deal along to my RRR buddies.

Don

dang. I might have to tel my dad. His spray gun has completely ****ed up. It got gummed up with primer too. That is a really good deal.

I bought one of those HF $9.95 hvlp guns about 18 months ago. I`ve primered 6 or 7 cars with it and painted 4 cars. I`ve shot epoxy primer through it, acrylic enamel and polyurethane. It`s a GREAT gun for us tight-wads on a budget. The key is to take it apart and clean it good after each use.
I might go get another for a spare. :D

Thanks!!!

Don,
THanks, I'm gonna run up there today & buy 2 of 'um. I was just thinkin' about sprayin' my frame & cab with primer & the price *definitely* rat!

BoB

Uh-Oh, Wait till Flat reads this, it'll be a quick trip to Harbor Freight! I may just tell his Dad to take him there with wallet in hand.....LOL

How do they look to you? I was pretty impressed........especially for less than $10. :D:D

Don

BTW, DonMan is right about cleaning a gun well after every use. I buy wash thinner at the paint store in 5 gallon containers for $ 32. Considering Home Depot gets $ 14.95 for a gallon of the same stuff, it is a better way to go. Right after spraying I dump the paint out, put some thinner in the cup and wash it out with a rag and dump it. Then I refill it with clean thinner and spray some through the nozzle.

Now, here is a trick I learned from a painter at the body shop. Hold a rag tightly against the nozzle of the gun and squeeze the trigger and hold it. The air will recirculate back through the cup and dislodge any paint out of the gun and back into the cup. (have the cap on the cup or it will shoot out at you because it is under pressure) Keep doing that with progressively cleaner thinner until no more comes out and finally spray some more through the gun just like you were painting.

I also pull out the long needle by removing the adjustment knob and spring and wipe it down with thinner to get any residue off, then reinstall them.

Just some tips I learned from a pro painter.

Last edited:
Spray guns looked pretty good to me. But I still bought an extra one for parts just in case.
Question is there a difference between wash thinner and lacquer thinner? Or two names for the same thing?

Question is there a difference between wash thinner and lacquer thinner? Or two names for the same thing?

I have seen a product at Lowes called "brush cleaner". It smells kinda like lacquer thinner but not as strong.
I`ve always used lacquer thinner for cleaning paint guns. A professional paint gun cleaning machine, used by body shops, requires lacquer thinner.

Darn. I don't think we have any O'Reillys in this area. :(:(:( Wash thinner is supposedly a less refined grade, more suitable for "washing" things, like sprayguns, etc. My supplier calls it # 7, and they have a # 10 that is higher grade to mix right into paint mixtures. That info may not be entirely correct, but it has always been what I understood the difference to be. They are both laquer thinners, just one is higher grade than the other.

Don

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip Don. I just called my dad and told him to pick up a couple of those guns tomorrow. My favorite gun that I use is still my 40 year old Binks model 7. I'm just used to it and resist change. It's like an old friend every time I pick it up to spray something.

My supplier calls it # 7, and they have a # 10 that is higher grade to mix right into paint mixtures. That info may not be entirely correct, but it has always been what I understood the difference to be. They are both laquer thinners, just one is higher grade than the other.

Don

Don,
I know what your saying. I`ve had several paint shops tell me that there`s 2 grades of thinners. The one from O`Reilly`s is the better quality thinner.

There are a few O`Reilly stores in the sunshine state and more coming as I type this.

I`ll talk to corporate and see if I can get one in your fine city. ;)

Oh, by the way guys, HF has TWO guns on sale for $ 9.99. One is a siphon gun and one is gravity. You want the gravity, it is much better quality. I went back today and bought 4 more, and noticed the siphon ones and was worried some of you might think that is the one I was referring to. Sale ends Oct 15th.

Don

Don, I sent my dad to HF today to get some of those guns and they didn't know what he was talking about. They told him that they didn't have any guns on sale for that price. Is it a nationwide sale. The goofs at our local HF probably didn't want to bother checking on it.

Bill, see my reply in the thread about what did you do this weekend. I'll give you the item number tomorrow when I get to the shop. It is a nationwide sale, until Oct 15th.

Don

Latest posts

Back