Non-Trad. 46 Chevy truck ground up

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my dad got bored yesterday and cut out the cab for the tranny, and took some pics of the work and a few of him goofin around, enjoy...

rideht2.jpg

motor.jpg

tranny1.jpg

tranny3.jpg

tranny4.jpg

Startin to think i need smaller feet, gonna do a square channel in sheet around the tranny, and wrap it up to the middle of the dash to mount my switches and stereo, Did I mention this will be a daily driver?!?

In regards to the chop if it were me I wouldn't do it. I think it looks pretty sweet as is :) Also that cab looks super solid. I wish mine was that nice on my 50 Ford F-6.

Pretty neat lookin' little truck so far. Thanks for sharing your pics.[P

A couple ideas/suggestions, if you don't object: first, just make new hood side panels which fit the openings fully on both sides (so you can lose the goofy little notch remaining from the original grill;)), second, don't chop it. Personally, I think the proportions are "right on" with the bed length and the stock roof height.

Dig those shiney wheels, too. Gotta admit, I'm a bit of a shine whore, though.:D

Keep us up to speed with your progress!

Regards,
Shea:)

Nice project and documention westex, your dad's also. I didn't see anyone mention it but there's no traditional police on duty around here.

after doing a rough mock of the seating, theres almost no way to chop and still be high enough to see over the dash and such, though about just sectioning, but why, like you said it has good porportions as is...

and as far as the hood goes, thats what I plan on doing, cut out the hinge in the middle, weld in some bar stock and put the louvers off the sides pictured and put them on the top, then make shorter sides with less taper till im pleased... just want a hood in the off chance that it rains around here once in a blue moon and this is my everyday truck, so this will be a full interior, probly black or tan tweed on doors and floor, i will paint the dash, may sand it down bare metal and do a staind clear, not sure if I want flat black or red on the outside yet, maybe a photoshopper can help me with that... maybe even a two tone?

Very nice build! great stance and layed out well! nice job..... I would chop it... but thats just me.....always a little over the top........ Here is my 46

Attachments

• 100_0389.jpg
    100_0389.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 120
I think the whole deal is pretty cool ! I've been toying with the idea of doing a truck myself . my issue is the lack of leg room with a chop on a truck . My model A is chopped 6" channeled 8" , I had the luxury of moving the seat back far enough to get leg room . you don't get that with a truck cab . anyway cool build !!

It looks great! I really like it. Leave the cab alone westex rat. Too many chopped tops in the world as it is. Your truck has a great stance as is. Nothing wrong with a stock roof line. With so many others chopped now, they stand out and actually look different and thats cool in my opinion.

Thunder

Last edited:
I like them both ways, I'm going through the same thing with mine. One day I want to chop one day I don't. I would just say make sure thats what you want before you take the saw to it. BTW BK when you going to finish that thing?

Very nice build! great stance and layed out well! nice job..... I would chop it... but thats just me.....always a little over the top........ Here is my 46

That is one radical ride, gonna take the v10 outta that viper, that would def be over the top!! doubt anyones ever pulled that off

Scored some seats today at a local scrap yard... out of an 08 pontiac g6... i dont know what I did, but i have had great luck finding parts for this so far...

seat2.jpg

seatbottomclose.jpg

seats.jpg

I had to do a bit of cleaning, we had a sleet, hot day, windy dusty day and today had another sleeting foggy day, so they were a bit damp, i checked all the motors at the yard and they worked, the heater switches lit up, but didnt want to leave them on very long in case they were wet and shorted, so we unhooked the jumper and pulled em in about 15 minutes... drivers is power and the other is all manual, i know its not vintage but if I'm gonna drive this every day and on trips im damn sure not sittin on a lil ass piece of tin for 5 hours... (bout how long to get to my dads) and every major town is about an hour away, but to me, Im just doin what the guys did back in the 50's and 60's, gettin scrap parts out of a junk yard and makin my own custom ride out of it, so far the only thing that I have bought new is the frame, wheels and front axle...

free pop to whoever can name the guitar in the background...
seat1.jpg

Really nice project! That t-56 would look good in my 56 chevy truck.LOL! keep up the good work and keep them pics coming.

firewall1.jpg

We decided we didnt want to fill all the holes in on the firewall
So, we did this

firewall2.jpg

firewall3.jpg

Then we welded in a new sheet and checked clearance for the motor, and we didnt have to recess it at all, looks strange now, but with the motor in it looks great,

firewall5.jpg

firewall6.jpg

Awesome, man. I really like your build! From the sounds of it, this isn't your first roday-o, but I guess your pop has a lot of experience to advise you with...

Look forward to future progress.
-Andrew

Pretty self explanatory here...

floor1.jpg

floor2.jpg

floor3.jpg

floor4.jpg

Getting a driveshaft in tomorrow in maybe and makin a loop, then to pedals and steering column whenever I order the parts...

We made it square to mold into the dash to mount my stereo and mount all my switches to, it will go between this and the dash, also a good place to hide the wiring and mount my fuse block.... there will be a small console/armrest between the seats, whenever they get put in...

Latest posts

Back