Started on the 40 Dodge PU

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blue; It's lookin good. I got that VATS bypass module in the mail, you told me about. Thanks for the info. Just one more headache I don't have to worry about. :D:D

Nice
cheers.gif

OK, I should have a new video or 2 after lunch..
I got it running off it's own fuel tank yesterday,
so I hope to have a quick walk around video and
a new video of it running with the headers, so keep an eye out :D

OK, here's a quick video of it running,
This thing sounds WAY different with these headers, it sounds GOOD..
I found a big vacuum leak and plugged it, it sits and idles great now..
Now I just need to clean up the wiring a bit.. :p

Also, here's a quick walk around of the vehicle in case you're interested so far.

Dang it. I can't watch the videos from the computer I'm using. I'll check them out later this week Blue. I'm out of town operating on impulse power.

OK...
Todays update..

Thursday i took the seats home and narrowed the bases a bit in the front so that they fit better..

I also took the tops of the doors to work Friday and stretched them to fit,
looks like they are going to work out.. (see pics below)
I'll take them back to work and finish them Monday
I also wired all the lights, and the directionals, indicators, hi/low beams, licence plate, etc all work (need to still test the brake switch, but ran out of time and couldn't find a way to be behind and inside the truck at the same time..

I also found out that the headlights will not work without the hi/low beam switch hooked up.. (don't ask how long it took me to notice I forgot to plug that back in) Not only did I find that out, but I also found that the taillight section will not work if the battery is disconnected.. (again, don't ask how long I played with that harness before I figured that out.. lol)

Anyway, doors are on their way to being finished, and the lights now work, so even though it took 2.5 hours, it was still a decent day.. :D

DD.jpg

PD.jpg

Seats.jpg

OK..
Went over at lunch and and opened up the top..
It was caved in and looked like they held an episode of dancing with the stars up there, so it's getting an old school canvas type sunroof..

I also got a cardboard template made for the rear window, and another one so I can build a new windshield frame, so I can keep the crank out windshield.

Oh No!!
DodgeOpenTop.jpg

Dodge1.jpg

Dodge3.jpg

Dodge2.jpg

I agree, it's looking good Blue. Are you going to use some roof bows with your canvas sunroof?

I think I am going to have to add something,
even though the roof was pretty flat, it did have a slight curve to it

Have not thought about how to do it yet.. any thoughts?

hey Blue, take 1/8" solid rod and make an insert for the top ( so you can have Bows that run front to back that fit the contour of the roof) and make the canvas fit that, you could make it also so it comes apart, if I get a chance later tonight I will draw it up and put a pic on here for ya.

Jim

hey Blue, take 1/8" solid rod and make an insert for the top ( so you can have Bows that run front to back that fit the contour of the roof) and make the canvas fit that, you could make it also so it comes apart, if I get a chance later tonight I will draw it up and put a pic on here for ya.

Jim

I was thinking along that same idea I think...

I have some 1/8" fiberglass rods that are used to fish electrical wires in walls and stuff, I was thinking maybe I could cut those a bit long, and have them stitched into pockets in the top, that way they would bow up a hair when the top is installed..

I'm just not sure in that plan how to keep the rods from poking through the edges of the top eventually..

Also how would I keep the rods from spinning in the pockets and end up bowing down..

Humm.. time to put on the thinking cap..

I'd like to see what you come up with.

Maybe I should start a new thread and get everyones thoughts

ok for one, if you put a piece of tubing angled up where the fiberglass rods fit into then they wont twis upside down, just has to be at an angle up.

Jim

Attachments

• dodge top.jpg
    dodge top.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 23

Latest posts

Back